evinrude 6 hp

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought a used evinrude....numbers are 6702D and E11406.........
What is the year, fuel mix ratio? Any quirks about this motor?
Paid $25 for it, guy says it runs.....

Attachments

• 12-08-07_1343.jpg
    12-08-07_1343.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 12-08-07_1342.jpg
    12-08-07_1342.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 12-08-07_1344.jpg
    12-08-07_1344.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 6 hp

That is a 1967 model. My 1965 6HP Johnson is basically the same motor with a different cover and paint job.

If you get bored with it, I will be happy to take it off your hands.

http://web.archive.org/web/20011223003431/www.evinrude.com/docktalk/modref/evmodyr/EHP6.html

Run it on 87 or 89 octane with 50:1 TCW-3 oil.

Run it only on J6C Champion at .030.

http://www.boatsetup.com/SparkPlugChart.pdf

BTW, I use only Pennzoil 100% synthetic TCW-3 oil because it is biodegradable and works well for me; less smoke and plug fouling, and environmentally A+.

http://pennzoil.com/products/marine/100pcSynth2cycle.html

The parts diagrams for the 1968 model will match almost everything on your motor. They are available online at the BRP parts catalog site.

http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=e

Save these links in your favorites before someone removes them.\\

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class

FR....Thanks for the info and the links...saved 'em.
Actually I went to look at a 5 1/2 johnson, I think it is a cd11 or 12....the guy had this one there too...paid 25 each, the johnson came with original tank....both are a little rough, though the johnson has the OEM shift lever..LOL I will probably be selling the evinrude in the spring, just want to clean it up, be sure it runs good, have to try it out on the river in the next couple of weeks.

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class

WHOOPS! My bad...thanks EZE....Guess I wasn't watching what I was doing!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

While these motors are clearly rated at 50:1 They have been known to fail
occasionally I believe some folks like to run 40:1.It appears to me the 6 is on the ragged edge at 50:1 and careless mixing and or severe service might cause problems.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

50:1 with modern, synthetic oil is fine with these motors. I have put hundreds of hours on two of them that I own running this mixture. My application for the motors (1965 & 1969 Johnson 6hp) was somewhat unusual and I had both mounted on a 15' boat with remote steering and dual controls. They were run at WOT about 95% of the time, pushing the boat at about 8 mph. The 1969 model is still in frequent use as a kicker for my current boat and the 1965 is on a rack in my shop, available for use at any time.

Everyone has their own opinion about this but I have to say that I think people forget how good the new two stroke oils are and what they have to stand up to in the larger displacement, high power engines. When considering smaller motors, even the old ones, over-mixing the oil really isn't neccessary. For whatever its worth, this opinion isn't just mine - its exactly what my local OMC dealer told me and he has 30 years of experience in servicing these motors.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The poor little 6 suffers from unjust criticism. There is a carbon seal on the bottom of the crankcase. If it breaks, or more likely, somebody takes it apart and doesn't replace the gasket and o-ring on it, then water gets into the crankcase. That results in tossing a rod. Then somebody tears it down for a looksee and blames it on the oil mix. It isn't the oil, it's the water. Same thing goes for the 5.5 and 7.5.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I think they are one of the best motors OMC ever made. I have beat mine to death and they just keep on going. One was even overheated to the point of shutting the motor down and I never rebuilt it - just blew the water passages out, put a new impeller in it and went right back to using it. In fact, I used the motor regularly on a year round basis for several years after that without problems.

PS: One trick I learned with these motors (and any of the others with single magnet flywheels/breaker points) is to remove the points and condensors and replace them with NOVA II electronic ignition modules. They cost 14 dollars each and work like a champ. The best part is, as an acquaintance once put it, I don't know how long they last because I have never had one fail. The set now installed in one of my Johnsons was even under water for about ten days (Hurricane Katrina) before being installed. I just wiped them off and put them in.

PW2

Commander

We've got a 1968 6 hp that we bought brand new in 1968. It's been well used 12 mos a year, a significant amount of that use was salt water, and who knows how many hours might be on that little engine. We've only used a 50:1 mix with whatever TC-3W oil might be available.

It still runs fine today, and save for normal maintenance issues, never have had a real problem with it.

I can't imagine anyone anywhere making a better little engine than that.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Something else just came to mind - I was once told that it was common to run these motors in certain parts of South America on diesel fuel. I have no idea if this is true or if anything special would have to done to the motor to do so but its an interesting story.

Can anyone confirm this?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

BRP/Evinrude has no reason to misinform, and neither do I. The stainless bearings on your engine do not need a mix greater than 50:1.

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/About.Us/FAQ/Oil.Fuel.htm#Q2

I think we all know that OMC has been wrong about fuel mix before.
There is anicdotal evidence of premature bearing failure in the 6hp.
I believe wrist pin problems come to mind.
I'm not implying anyone is giving out incorrect info_Only that there is evidence of some problems.If I was running a 6 I would be doing some research to see what info is out there.I don't think lots of miles with no failure is proof of no problem.Examining the 6 hp failures is a better indication of premature failure or abuse failures.

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class

And this is why I like this forum....the info,the experience,the opinions, makes me feel like expert when I work on my motors....
Thank Yu'all!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I would think so, Samo but I am wondering, more out of curiosity than anything else, if it could have been done. Obviously the motor would have to contiinue to be run in the normal fashion in terms of ignition because the compression ratio would be no where near high enough for compression ignition. Even if if the motor could be made to have a high compression ratio, it wouldn't be strong enough to withstand the stress. So, there would have to be some way to get the mixture and ignition timing just right in order to obtain combustion. That said, I haven't a clue if this would be possible.