no spark at all

jrjrjr76

Recruit
first post

I have a 1976 Evinrude 55 hp using the manual I have done every test i can without a neon tester which I can not find?

ignition coil test no spark at either plug

sensor coil test ohmed out open replaced

charge coil test has voltage out

power pac test no out put replaced no change

key switch test no change

charge coil resistance check ok

looked for loose wire broken wires anything checked fuses rectifier

I used the boat all day took it how flushed the motor went out the next day and nothing no spark at all.........
Other than pulling my remaining hair out or finding the elusive neon tester
does anyone have any suggestions, other than bring it to a mechanic

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: no spark at all

Have you tried it with the black/yellow wire completely disconnected? That would be the one going to the key switch. You DO have the lanyard connected to the kill switch...don't you?

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

To quickly isolate it between the motor and the boat wiring, unplug the engine harness at the engine and use a jumper to spin the motor while checking for spark. If you get spark, the problem is in the boat, if you don't, the the problem is in the engine.

When you ohmed out the charge coil, did you also check for a short to ground?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

use a CD-77 or a DVM with a DVA adapter, check for charge coil output,trigger coil output to the pack, if its there test for output from the pack to the ign coil primaries. the neon tester was ok but its quicker with a peak reading multimeter.
also make sure the flywheel is still correctly indexed to the crankshaft.

jrjrjr76

Recruit

thanks for the quick reply tried the black and yellow wire removed key switch test no change, my boat doesn't have a lanyard ha ha, While in the process of isolating between boat and motor wire harness my friend called me to go out on his boat. Hours later noticed motor wire harness in bad shape rebuilding. i did not see any shorts to ground through charging coil, ohmed out in spec for 1976 motor, I will try the other things tomorrow to dark now to see thanks again and will keep up to date

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Reckon you got me on that one. They didn't come with lanyards till the early 1980's.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I would just replace the key switch. It is realitively inexpensive, and I would bet that is the problem.

jrjrjr76

Recruit

isolated boat and motor no change

used a volt meter noticed everything is negative polarity is this right?
i have no idea any more, i think i'll clear my head and start over

changetires

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1970 Johnson 40hp that had no spark on bottom cylinder and found it to be a plug wire with a pinhole in it. Try a known good spark plug wire especially if they are old. My internal wiring harness was also toasted so I made jumpers for these. Took the boat out for its first trip this weekend and it ran great. NAPA had the wire and clips for a total of $10. I also changed 1coil and both points and condensers while I had it apart. Hope this helps

Ed

jrjrjr76

Recruit

thanks for all of your help

after starting over and inviting a friend over to double check my work
it turns out that i put the sensor to close to the flywheel after re-adjusting lo and behold the spark, always double check when nothing makes sense,