general outboard question.

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This could be a loaded question but I’m going to ask anyway, overall, speaking of brands only, not so much years, does it really make much difference what brand motor you own as far as serviceability and reliability? Or how easy it is for the average Joe to work on it.

I've kind of been scouting around for an 18 to 20 horse outboard, and because the two I have now are both Evinrude (and seem to be easy to work on) I've been leaning towards another Evinrude, but I've seen some Mercs (force) for sale, and they seem to be a little bit cheaper in cost, is there much difference in working on something like a merc, or Chrysler, or other brand when it comes to stuff under 20 horse, as compared to say, an Evinrude? are parts costs more expensive for other brands? harder to deal with? more or less reliable?

I'm just curious.

gss036

Commander
Re: general outboard question.

I take it that you are looking for a used 2 stroke engine? There not too many of them being offed now days, mostly 4 stroke engine. Small HP 4 stroke Mercury /Nissan and Tohatsu are all mfg by Tohatsu, so you would look for service center near you if you use them. Honda and Yamaha both offer good engines. I have run a 15hp Honda for the past 15 years and it stills runs great, all saltwater use.

Drowned Rat

Captain

You mention Force and Chrysler, I assume you're looking for an older outboard. There were lots of lemons bred in the 80's and early 90's. Personally, I would avoid all makes from these years except OMC, Yamaha, and Honda. I guess Merc is okay, but in my experience they had problems too. If you know OMC, I'd stick with them. Although, I firmly believe Yamaha made the best 2 stroke motor available in that time frame, if you can find one.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A few brands had their problems, but most were good engines. I would not want a Force because of the difficulty getting parts.

In your place I would be shopping for JohnnyRudes. Nobody made them any better, easier to service or easier to get parts for.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

johnnyRudes have the best parts support. there are some parts, for some models that are nla, but most are available.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I've been an OMC guy pretty much "forever" so I admit bias on this subject. That said, there is no doubt that the question of parts availability (new & used) favors them just because their basic designs have been used for so long. But, as much I like my old OMCs, I could get talked into a Yamaha because they have proven to be good motors and have been so popular that parts should be readily available. I can't speak to parts cost with the Yamaha, though, because I have never owned one. One thing that may be a factor for you is that apparently Bombardier has been raising prices on its parts, including those for the older OMC motors, quite a bit lately.

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you guys hit the nail on the head, yes, I'm looking for an older outboard, I'm getting comfortable with the Evinrude's, but had seen others advertised locally and wasn't going to give up on the idea of buying something other then an Evinrude, but wanted to hear your opinions, I'm not going to be getting another outboard anytime soon, (at least I don't think so) I'm just trying to educate myself so when I'm ready, or if some supper deal comes along that's to good to pass up, then I'll know what I'm looking for regarding good outboards verses bad outboards.

I've seen a couple of McCulloch outboards that looked nice, (I thought they were kind of cool having a chain saw name to them) but don't really know anything about them.

I'm finding that E-Bay is a good source for Evinrude parts, but have noticed that people don't list the part's applications (exactly what the parts fit, years ect.) very clearly, I see lots of ads like "Evinrude 9.9 lower unit, fits 9.9 and 15 HP, good solid unit" but they won't list what years they fit, not that I need a lower unit, I just used that as an example.

OK enough babbling for me, I'm going to go read more outboard stuff