Need Advice - stern drives in salt water

mabj

Cadet
I am considering purchasing a 31 - 33 ft cruiser that I would like to keep in the water in the Charleston, SC area. I have my eye on a Monterey 290 with twin Mercs but I have been told that I definitely do not want to leave a boat with outdrives in the water for any extended period of time. I want to keep it at a marina close to the city to use is at my "floating condo" I would certainly appreciate any advice from folks. Thanks in advance!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need Advice - stern drives in salt water

Stern drives can be kept in salt water but it takes a lot of extra maintenance compared to outboards and straight inboards. Many people here in Long Island have them and if they are maintained they last a long time. In that size boat I'd try to see if you could find a boat with straight inboards, it will probably hold its value better in a salt water region and cost less to run. But sterndrives have the advantage of greater efficiency due to being able to trim the engine and are also better in shallow water areas.

Blue Water Runner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would personally would look for a boat with a full inboard that has a closed cooling system if possible. Stearn drives are expensive to maintain when left in the salt. A full inboard only has a prop and shaft in the water not a drive that has zinks, boots, seals, and that is made of aluminum and stainless steel. Dissimilar metals creates corrosion.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There are a large number of sterndrives that are kept in salt water. I had one of my own that I kept tied to the dock in saltwater for a decade. They need to have antifouling paint applied to them in the spring, along with new zinc anodes. Other than that, nothing special needs to be done with the exception of keeping the steering rod greased.