fiberglass, gelcoat, floor???

yohe

Recruit
i just got a sweet deal on a 68 cobia and the floor is garbage, i was wanting to find out how i should go about painting the floor after i do all of the glass work. should i brush it? i want to do it cheep and effective. what should i do?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: fiberglass, gelcoat, floor???

what exactally do u mean by the floor is garbage?
is it soft? weak spots?
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and by the way ....
welcome!!!!
good people here...
lots of know how!

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is it just the floor, or the hull bottom itself?

Eatherway, just forget about the gel coat unless your planing to make a mold and completely remake the lower hull.

simple way to do it, is (using a single direction high-speed saw, so NOT a sawzall) cut out more than the damaged area. lay down wood, and fiberglass over that.

then sand, paint, and enjoy

Ill be doing this also in the next few days and can supply pic if nessary.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Deck.

yohe

Recruit

its the deck, the hulls fine. but i just wanted to know the easiest was to do the decks finish, iv been thinking about carpeting it.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Almost everybody here will tell you not to recarpet the deck, if you want to paint it, most everybody likes the perfection line. can be done with a roller and perfection has an additive that makes an anti-slip surface.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

How are the stringers and foam? Check all that out prior to redoing the floor, if you have floor rot you might have stringer rot.

I have read tons of places that the nonskid surface is awesome for the interior of the deck. Its water proof and non skid. It rolls on and is very durable. Not sure what its called but you can buy it at most home repair stores.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Here's what happens. Decking gets wet - it rots. Additional water goes right through rotten deck into bilge - that starts to rot if there are voids in glass. Stringers are gone, then the transom gets it - . Then you have two things.
Either a piece of fiberglass that belongs in the landfill or someone who has more money than brains who will spend more funds than what it is actually worth. Look elsewhere for something without an 'open wound'.

yohe

Recruit

well its not that hard to cut it out put the boards in and glass it, i got it for $250, what do i have to loose. first boat, if anything its a good learning tool for me. im 19 and just want to fix it, make it nice, use it for a while and then make a profit.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yohe, welcome to iboats. i really enjoy when the youth gets into boating. it is going to be a project. i had 3 cobia's over the years, and they are one of the best handling boats i ever owned. you just say it is a 68, what length, and motor. i have been thru what you are starting.

here's one of the best tutorials, i know of, to give you an idea of what you are getting into.
http://70silverline.250free.com/Skankybeast.html