Non-winterized Merc 850 - Starting Ideas?

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer
Evening all. New to this forum but I've been browsing for a while. Seems like an extremely knowledgeable group.

I recently bought my first boat. A 1971 Caravelle 15' Tri-hull, with a 1977 (i think - haven't verified serial#) Mercury 850. I bought the boat in non-running condition. The previous owner stated he started the motor once or twice a year up until this spring. He's never had the boat in the water. When he went to test start it this spring, it would not fire. It will run for a few seconds on starting fluid.

Obviously the gas has turned. The boat has a permanently installed fuel tank, which i've disconnected. I rigged up a generic wal-mart fuel line and portable gas tank and attempted to start. I had the same experience. It'll run on ether for a second or two, but nothing after that.

The fuel in the old lines stunk like hell, and was black/brown with varnish.

Suggestions where to start? I'm new to outboards and i havne't been on a boat since I was a teenager. I would suspect i need to clean the carbs. I've ordered a service manual but who knows when that'll get here. Any quick-fix things i should check?

Thanks!

Laddies

Banned
Re: Non-winterized Merc 850 - Starting Ideas?

First don't ever use starting fluid on a 2 cycle engine, if you must prime a engine use so premix in a squirt can. It sounds like you already have guessed you need to clean the carbs check each idle screw setting before removing it so you can put it back where it was for startup and replace the fuel pump or pumps diaphragm along with fuel lines to get rid of the crud in the system. Next change the lower unit lube and grease the engine, when prelube the cyls. with so oil and at that point I would start the engine to make sure it runs alright, if everything seems good at this point replace the w/pump impeller. Next pump the tank out, some you can remove the gauge sender to help the process along and wash it with stove alcohol. next replace the fuel lines and install a large spin on filter just before the engine and you should be good to go. A lot of work to start with but will save you a lot of disappointment later.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

well that sounds about right. Wasn't planning on replacing the fuel pump, but if it needs it, i suppose I'll have to. Are parts readily available for these?

One question. I saw a video of a guy starting a merc of similar vintage and he was able to get fuel to flow all the way into the carb bowls - to the point it was dripping. Should I be able to do this? I've connected the fuel line but i don't think i'm getting fuel nearly that far into the system.. The bulb is firm, though.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

Did verify the serial# with oldmercs.com. It's a '77 model year motor.

Laddies

Banned

Some carbs will drip when being primed and some don't but you should be able to tilt the engine up and pump them till they drip as it will upset the float level, if it don't then the inlet needles are stuck. As far as the changing of the f/pump diaphragm when a engine sets till it's varnished up like yours the as it runs the movement of the diaphragm will make the crude on it to come loose and go back in the carbs and can plug them again, the kits are less than $10 most places.