Now I've done it . . .

QC

Supreme Mariner
Some of you may have seen a thread in non-Boating tech about lifting and flipping a boat . . . Well I have been spending a ton of time researching this, and I have finally convinced myself to buy a project boat and what a project it's gonna be! This is a partially finished (poorly) Glen-L Monaco.

8c35qie.jpg

She is 19'4" with a 6'7" beam. Inboard direct drive, that is supposed to be a replica of a 1940's vintage Chris-Craft Racing Runabout:

8f468ex.jpg

The first guy did all of the hull building which is very stout, but when he got to finishing he cheapened out and used paper thin type veneer instead of thin Mahogany planks (confusingly called veneers). To attach it he really screwed up and used something I can best describe as rubber cement and the entire thing is delaminating.

6x161a9.jpg

The second guy (who I bought from) built a 350 for it and added a Velvet Drive 1/1 trans. He is going to move up to a big Chris Cruiser for offshore and retirement

80v8s9t.jpg

He also bought an old trailer that still needs some mods, but he did all new bearings etc. He also procured a sheet pile of vintage deck hardware, gauges, linkage pieces, exhaust trumpets, propellers, stuffing boxes, shaft logs, prop shafts, rudder, etc. I also got the manuals, plans, receipts, etc. etc. etc.

Well I was going to try and save the sides and finish them naturally as they should be. The builder guy also screwed up by doing a carp job of epoxying the lightweight fiberglass matting. Basically if you look closely you can see the weave everywhere and it will never be right, so I have finally resigned to paint the sides. Here is what I think I will do with that. The dark line aft is going to be a combo splash rail swim-step.

6kjo4uw.jpg

The hull itself appears to be very good. All epoxy encapsulated, all of the battens, frames etc. are all correct, so I think it is a very good platform to work on. I plan to strip the deck of the carp he did and use Mahogany planks (veneers) as it should be, and I am going to add the same type planks to the transom. I am going to go with the vintage look above for the deck with a white interior. Trailer will be white too. I paid $7K for the whole shooting match and figure I could easily get that if I parted it out. I plan to finish her though and sell after playing a little this spring. Not the right boat for my family, so we won't keep her, although the boys are already lobbying . . . I haven't sold either my Tinny or the Carrera, so this is boat #3 in the family right now. Shhhhhhhh, Mrs. QC hasn't said "sell" any of them yet :D

I'll be posting in the proper areas for lots of help. Thanks in advance!!

JRJ

Commander
Re: Now I've done it . . .

Good for you. What a neat boat that will be when you and your boys finish it. Have fun.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Beautifull boat! It's a shame you can't leave a natural finish on it as they look fantastic that way.
Is there no sanding the epoxy off and refinishing?
Good luck I think you will be staying out of trouble for some time:D!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Is there no sanding the epoxy off and refinishing?
Well . . . that's what I was thinking at first, but he used plywood . . . Fine for construction, but if you look at the first pic you can see a couple of light colored marks near the gunnel, toward the bow. The second guy tried sanding her down as you suggested and those spots reveal the standard "veneer" covering on the plywood. I guess I am assuming that with the aggressive sanding required, I am going to end up with a bunch of spots sanded all the way through and it will just look like carp. I am not prepared to re-plank the whole dang thing as I am really doing this to make a buck. I have seen a few vintage ones with painted sides and they are OK as whether they're in a slip or underway, the deck is very obvious to all, I am prepared to plank the deck, but a whole bunch of vertical work sounds very, uh . . . like hard, dude :rolleyes: :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

super project boat. will be worth all the effort.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Man that is going to be one sweet lookin' boat when you're done!

Enjoy it!

treedancer

Commander

Any thought of wood graining? I know of some locals in the St.Louis area that can grain a piece of wood and make it look like any kind of wood that you can think of, marble to of you so desire. Don’t know how that would hold up in a marine environment especially in salt water, but imagine it could be covered in epoxy.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Well . . . but a whole bunch of vertical work sounds very, uh . . . like hard, dude :rolleyes: :D

LOL, very well put:D. I am a cabinet maker and I have a ton of experience bulk sanding on and around veneers, it can be challenging in the best of circumstances!
Didn't catch the "flip" part till your second post:rolleyes:.
Be sure to post "post" pics! :)