Stingray v. Bayliner

I can't decide between an 18 foot Stingray open bow and a 18 foot Bayliner open bow. The Stingray appears to be better mileage and a more powerful ride, given it's z-hull design and volvo engine 4-cylinder 135 hp, and has power steering. The Bayliner has a merc 4-cylinder 135 hp. The advantage of the Bayliner is that it might handle better in choppy water, has more floor space because it doesn't have a sunning deck and bench seat in the back and is $2000 less than the Stingray. Is the Stingray worth the extra $2,000?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Stingray v. Bayliner

Short answer - no. Long answer - I would spend the same $$ on a nice used boat.

Kelly Cook

QC

Supreme Mariner

First boat, buy used. You don't know what you want yet, and you will make mistakes . . . mistakes that will make you want to puke, so figure it all out with a used boat. Stick around, learn some more, we'll help you find a good boat, and make it better. Great time to be shopping too . . . Welcome aboard!!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I'm with the "buy a used one" crowd.. Until you use it you do not really know what your specific needs and do not needs are.
Great time to buy a used one right now as regards price but depending where you live a in water test is more or less impossible.

tommays

Admiral

A used boat sounds good BUT a new owner has NOT really aquired the skills to pick out a good used one :confused:

Which for many people turns into there first and last boat ;)

Tommays

wvit1001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's plenty of one and two year old boat out there that only have a few hours on them. From what I've seen a lot of people buy a boat and use it the first year the find out that they don't like the loading, launching, cleaning, hassle of a boat.

If I was looking for my first boat I'd go for a good used one. If you put a lot of money into an 18' boat and like it you will soon find out that you want and need at least a 21' boat with more power.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can get the Stingray without the rear bench seat too.

The Stingray will run faster and in my opinion is better looking.

Because of the proliferation of Bayliners, I feel based on my used boat searches, that if you buy new the Stingray will hold value better, and for the equivalent used boat the Stingray will also hold its value more.

Also, a part of your decision is volvo (Stingray is exclusively Volvo now) versus merc, if you buy new. I won't even get into that debate.

That being said, I would suggest you look at a 190 or 195 Stingray, which will get you into a 19 foot boat, and will weight the same as the 18 foot Bayliner, and give you a 4.3 engine option, as well as an 8 adult capacity.

The difference between the 190 and the 195 is the 190 was their 19 ft version till 2004, then the model changed to the 195.

If you are a die hard merc fan, you can still find new 2007 models with warranties with a merc, but will not be able to find the same for an 08 model.

Then again, I am biased, I have owned a 2004 Stingray 190LX for one season now.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

PS: I did the used boat thing too. The advantage, I found a practically new boat with everything I needed coming along with it (skis, vest, maps, vhf radio, satellite hook up, tube, dog life jacket, anchor, etc) because someone bought new and ended up not using it -- his loss = my gain.

Mike_V

Cadet

I had to make a similar choice and went with Stingray CS195 3.0 liter - very happy especially about the quality technical specifications and pride of ownership. If you want to work on your boat, motor or trailer go ahead and buy a used boat. There are many thousands of them out there with the high gas prices we deal with. I had to learn this lesson the hard way and now own the boat that I will have, and am proud to own, for many years to come.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I am looking at a used Stingray and a used Bayliner. The Stingray just costs $2000 more. Both are 2004. I agree with notion of buying used first, in order to understand what my family will be into. I want to fish. My wife wants to entertain friends with skiing/tubing/cruising. I'll want to take it out in the brackish water of the delta where it gets choppy and windy. The bigger lakes can get choppy and windy too. I've read that the Stingray sits higher and therefore doesn't cut through the chop as well as a deaper hull.

Then there's a 1996 Four Winns, same size, bigger engine, for the same price as the Bayliner.

I certainly welcome more bytes of wisdom from ya'll. At this point, it's still a coin toss, which isn't worth $2,000. Both boats are the same year.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if you want to fish, be patient and look for the 19 foot Stingray 190FX, its got a fishing set up too, with a trolling motor mount for the front. The 4.3 and extra foot will be nice when the water gets rougher, and for skiing.

You take out a front cushion and flip the rear deck and you have elevated fishing seats.

I hear ya, I hear ya: 4.3, 4.3, 4.3. I'm practically chanting it to myself.

I think a 19 ft Stingray is still at least $2000 more than a 19 ft Bayliner. Your reply implies that you think the Stingray is worth the extra $2,000.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think the extra foot and a set up that will get you an elevated platform for fishing is worth $2000 bucks. If Bayliner has one, then great.

Now that I know you want to fish, everything changes.

For example, you should also seriously consider an outboard, which will allow you to fish longer without less concerns about winterizing.

What percent of the time will you fish, and what percent ski/tube?
What type of skiing will you be doing -- kids, tube, or pulling slalom?

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

With more things being similar, than different, I would go with the boat
that has the deeper v hull. You mentioned you will riding chop often, so
you will also have waves often, and whether you are going out fishing,
cruising, or skiing, the deeper v will give you a smoother ride. That will
turn out to make a big difference where other differences will not matter.
Good luck!