Just Bought It, Now What?

fathernson

Recruit
I just bought a little 12' aluminum v hull jon boat for my son and I to fish in with an evinrude outboard motor. I did my homework and I can tell you it's a 1975 6hp, model# 6504-R. I'm very confident that the previous owner took very good care of it, but it hasn't been run in about 2 years. OK, my question is: what all do I need to do here in the driveway before I go out on the water with a handful of tools and fresh gas/oil and start pulling on the rope? We're anxious to get out fishing, and we don't have a lot of cash to spend on this right away since we spent money we shouldn't have buying it(momma/wife's words). Thanks for any help ya'll can give.

Josh
-born fishin'

rick_l

Seaman
Re: Just Bought It, Now What?

With the motor sitting for a couple of years it may have to have the carb rebuilt, new impeller, and plugs. But if you are short on cash, I would put it in a test tank, and try to start it. Once it's running check and see if it has good water coming from the tadle tell. You may get lucky and only need to change the spark plugs.

wbeaton

Commander

Do what rick says, but change the impeller too. Just because it pumps water in the driveway doesn't mean it won't quickly fail on the water. That $20 part and an hour of your time is worth the price of a new motor.

Spray a little oil into the cylinders before you pull it over, as well.

iwombat

Captain

That motor doesn't have a tell-tale though. You should see water spitting out the exhaust relief port just under the powerhead.

D

DJ

This is a great father/son project.

Do this.

1. Go to your local Johnson/Evinrude dealer and order these parts.

2. Carb rebuild kit.

3. Water pump impeller. (kit is suggested but maybe not needed)

4. Quality OMC/BRP lower unit lube with genuine Fill/Drain plug seals.

5. New spark plugs-Champion ONLY.

6. Run some Sea Foam (NAPA stores) in your first few tanks of fuel.

Go through the steps and you'll have great time. That engine will run forever, with a little care.

Congrat's., that brings back memories of my younger sons doing things the right way and enjoying our time, on the water.

Many years of enjoyment, are ahead, out that little 6.

I should have said, as #1 get a manual. It will teach your son how to read and understand.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

best manual is here: "http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=models.main&year=1975&ID=53336"

also read this: "http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086"

also if you son is old enough, let him join the forum. we have several tweens, and teenage members that are becoming very knowledgeable.