Arrgghh......:mad: Stupid chain email

gonefishie

Commander
Does anyone know how to set a filter for these stupid things? :mad: Most of them are coming from my friends so I don't want to put them on a block sender list. I hates to offend them by telling them to quit wasting my time and stop forwarding me those stupid things.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Arrgghh......:mad: Stupid chain email

i have done just that. i just clink reply, and say, i do not open these things. keep your viruses to your self.

SpinnerBait_Nut

If using OE, you can use message rules and set it to delete it and it will go to the deleted files.
Just set the rule up as from sender, subject line, or body of email.
Word/s that would be found in any of them 3 places.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Microsoft is NOT going to send me 50 million dollars. I tell "friends" not to send me this stuff.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think the best way in Outlook is to create a folder called "spam" if there already isn't one and then create an e-mail filter that filters the subject line for "*FW:*" (the * being a wildcard for anything, not sure how Outlook does it). With that filter just have the messages put in the spam folder so that you still have the chance to review them incase there really is an important forwarded e-mail. Most people will just forward off that crap and not change the subject line so it should catch quite a few of them.

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a copy of what I usually send to friends and customers who send me junk mail. Most of the time they get the hint. :)

Frequently I am asked what can be done to reduce the amount of junk e-mails we all receive. Here are a couple of things you can do to help.

If you do not recognize who sent the message or the subject, delete it. Some messages are set to reply to the sender automatically when it has been received and opened. Just opening the e-mail can confirm to them you have a valid e-mail address and will read their spam.

Never reply to junk mail or open a link from an e-mail you are not expecting for the same reasons stated above and below.

It is easy for hackers and spammers to send mail in someone else’s name, including yours. If you receive an e-mail with an attachment you were not expecting, even if it is from someone you know, do not open the attachment. If you are unsure if it is truly something someone sent you, send them a quick message asking for verification before opening it.

Never reply to or forward chain letters. A large number of the chain letters are started by hackers or spammers. They can be set to send back to them the addresses the message is forwarded to. On top of that you end up contributing to the volume of unsolicited mail people receive. For example, the send this to 10 people messages using a conservative estimate:

I send to 10 = 10
Half of the 10 send to 10 = 50
Half of the 50 send to 10 = 250
Half of the 250 send to 10 = 1250
Half of the 1250 send to 10 = 6250
Half of the 6250 send to 10 = 31250
Half of the 31250 send to 10 = 156250
Half of the 156250 send to 10 = 781250

Now that one message sent to 10 people conservatively has generated 781250 e-mails in 8 rounds. Break the chain. People will still love you, and you will not cause the world to end.

eeboater

Commander

I have learned that replying to the moronic chain emails with snotty remarks usually gets you off the list.

You know those emails that require you to fill stuff out and send it back to everyone... take 10 minutes to fill out one completely cocky and stupid - I bet you never get them again.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I know a lot of well meaning friends that send junk. I'll humor them by saying nothing, and hit delete while NOT even reading what it is. They are usually a Forward, and thats the tip off..and always the same people

JB

Zap. One more IP/screen name used up.

Bondo

Staff member

If you receive an e-mail with an attachment you were not expecting, even if it is from someone you know, do not open the attachment. If you are unsure if it is truly something someone sent you, send them a quick message asking for verification before opening it.

Ayuh,..............

My "Blocked Sender" list is Massive, because I always add Spam to it when I get them.......
When I 1st started playing with 'Puters,... I got in with abunch of people who exchange jokes,...... Luckily, I'm down to 1 Gal,+ 1 of my BILs,....And I don't answer or forward jokes to either of them anymore either.....

And,..... as savy as I Think I am,...... Occasionally I screw up anyways,......
I Almost did the other night,......
Ondarvr mentioned in a thread that he would be willing to forward a pdf about Resins to anybody wishing to give it a read,......
Well of course, in My quest for knowledge,... I asked for a copy.......
Within an hour or so, my email tone sounded,+ I checked to see What had arrived,.......
What I saw was an unknown person's name,+ the subject line said "Cook booK",.... With an attachment of course,.......
Well, I tell ya,..... Fear set in, because I didn't want to open an Unknown attachment...... Finally, Ondarvr sent me a follow up to see if the pdf had arrived,+ if it was complete due to it's size.......
Of course at that point figured out Ondarvr's Real name,+ that a Cook Book of resin recipes was what the attachment was.......

Edit,......
Post # 14,000 Right Here..............................................:) ;)

puddle jumper

Captain

Jerico ive never thought of it like that. What an easy way for them to get an unreal amount of email addys. At one point i was getting up to about 30 spam mails a day. I wonder how many of them came from messages that an older couple would send me witch were almost always forward messages. I got hold of my Internet provider and thay screen them for me.Now im luck if i get one a month now.
PS i had to offend the couple so thay would stop sending them to me.

gonefishie

Commander

Yeah, most of these chain emails are originated from addys selling crooks. The peoples that are happily forwarding these things are the ones that wondering why they get attacked and swear up and down that the internet is not safe for making financial transaction. They were thinking that they were just being friendly by forwarding those junks without knowing that they were just helping crooks getting richer.

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

A couple of other thing you can do. I have 3 yahoo and 3 hotmail accounts. Every couple of weeks or so I log into them and delete the mail so they don't get deactivated. Anything that asks for an e-mail address gets one of them. Also avoid like a plague software like Weatherbug and Webshots. Think about it, how much does it cost for them to maintain the servers and bandwidth to give you those services free. They make it up in tracking your computer usage and selling you to spammers.

Another good trick is create sub-folders off of the inbox in your mail program for friends, family, work, etc. Create rules to filter messages from who you know you get mail from to put it in those folders. When you check your mail, check the sub-folders first. Then when you have time go back through and sort the trash left in the inbox.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

I like the ones about missing kids and gangs that will run you off the road if you flash your lights at them that concerned friends and family members send. I look it up for them on snopes or urban myths and send them the link to show them its bogus. Also gets them to hopefully stop taking stuff at face value and do a little research.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

My financial situation has really gone down hill lately. I'm sure it's because of one of those stupid chain mails which I didn't forward to all my friends!! Yeah Right..

puddle jumper

Captain

If those messages were true i should be dead bye now.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know a lot of well meaning friends that send junk. I'll humor them by saying nothing, and hit delete while NOT even reading what it is. They are usually a Forward, and thats the tip off..and always the same people

That is also the best way I know ... Important e-mails from friends usualy dont have FW: