Johnson motor quality opinions

Flatinfifth

Recruit
Hi gents........new on the forum.
We are looking at purchasing a used 98 Wellcraft with a 225 hp Johnson with 450 hours on it. Supposedly the maintenance has been impecable. After talking to several owners of both Johnson and Mercury, it seems to me Mercury owners are more satisfied with reliability and costs than their Johnson / Evinrude bretheren.

What gives?? Should I expect to re-power the beast in the not-too-distant-future?? Any advice on the reliability of this powerplant will be greatly appreciated. Sorry, no compression figures yet.

Thanks,
Flatinfifth

D

DJ

Re: Johnson motor quality opinions

Different generation, I guess. This question would not be asked, ten years ago.

You're asking a HUGE question with only opiniated answers, expected.

So, what's better, Chevy or Ford? Same question. You can ask 100 different people and get 100 different answers.

OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) built outboards, the worlds best, for over 75 years. Your engine is a culmination of all that technology.

If the engine is sound AND CARED FOR, it will go hundreds of hours with troublefee service.

It is your obligation to determine if the engine is indeed healthy. If not, don't expect anything and don't blame the name on the hood. The blame goes to the past operator. It doesn't matter if it was Mercury, John/Rude, Yamaha, or whatever. Stupidity and lack of maintenance wrecks engines, regardless of make.

At a minimum, check, or have checked, the following:

1. Compression.

2. Spark.

3. Lower unit lube.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i find just the opposite. what is the year and model # of the motor. if it is a "Ficht", they were ahead of their time, and have problems find proper service. but the rest of the J/E line are extremely dependable.

450 hours on a well maintained 2 stroke is nothing. 45 hours on and unmaintained 2 stroke can kill one. doesn't matter what brand.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have over 2000 hours on an 200 Evinrude on a Grady that's still ticking. If it was kept up as advertised you have a long way to go before replacement.

PS. They are thirsty

Flatinfifth

Recruit

This is GREAT. Keep it up guys. I'll probably have compression numbers and serial number/model number for you in a couple of weeks. The owner seems nice enough and the boat is in very good shape.

More opinions??
Flatinfifth

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The FICHT V6s of that period were trouble unless they have had the full treatment with BRP upgrades.

The carbed engines were, and are, superb.

However, in 10 years even a superb engine could be ruined by neglect and abuse. I think any build problems would have been eliminated in 450 hours of operation.

jbjennings

Captain

After talking to several owners of both Johnson and Mercury, it seems to me Mercury owners are more satisfied with reliability and costs than their Johnson / Evinrude bretheren. ==quote

This johnson/evinrude brethren doesn't run biguns' like you have but, is very happy with his johnson/ evinrude product. Sounds like a nice rig to me! Also, seems like for a rig that big and expensive, a test drive is called for. If it runs like a top and isn't one of those not recommended by the previous posters like JB, I'd buy that thing if the price was right and I wanted one that big.
If it makes you feel any better, there are thousands of people out there that are still running 50year old and older johnsons/evinrudes regularly and they still run like new. The one in my avatar is one of those... gets good gas mileage, too.
JBJ

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The OMC problems with the V6 engines in the late 90's were primarily with their 60-degree engines. Yours is a big block 90 degree. They were solid engines.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

My Johnson 175 is 27 years old and has never been apart.Compression is good and its still running strong.Only thing that has been replaced is the rectifier and starter.Who knows how many hundreds of hours are on it.

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

bought new in 1988 40 HP Evinrude has 820 Hrs on it. Runs like a new motor.