Yamaha lower unit - interchangeable years?

javiert99

Cadet
Hey guys, I posted the other day about trouble getting into reverse, but really didn't get much feedback.

Well, after searching and using information on the site it appears I will need a lower unit for this outboard.

I have a 175AETO, which I believe is pretty similar to a 175ETLK from 1985.

What model year lower units from this series of "precision blend" motor interchange?

Is it true I can use pretty much any lower unit from mid 80's to mid 90's motors?

I checked the shift shaft and it looks OK... the motor just pops out of reverse, you can see it fighting at the slider:

DSC01187.JPG

DSC01184.JPG

DSC01189.JPG

lasvegaskid

Cadet
Re: Yamaha lower unit - interchangeable years?

Did you check your shift cable, and control lever assembly?
If the cable is out of adjustment, it could cause a problem.

javiert99

Cadet

Did you check your shift cable, and control lever assembly?
If the cable is out of adjustment, it could cause a problem.

Yep, in another thread I had started previously I had already been through all that, but thanks :)

I found a great deal on a complete parts motor today and picked it up. Swapped out the lower unit real quick and as far as I can tell, all is well. It no longer tries to "pop" out of reverse anymore with the shift cable off and it shifts smooth as silk. My old lower would grind b/w shifts no matter how fast you snapped the control.. this one shifts w/ no complaints. I'll have it on the water sometime this week but I'm confident it's fixed.

rorypff

Cadet

Have you checked the lower unit oil to see if there are any metal filings etc in it. If clean then I doubt you have any damage there, can only be an adjustment problem.

javiert99

Cadet

Have you checked the lower unit oil to see if there are any metal filings etc in it. If clean then I doubt you have any damage there, can only be an adjustment problem.

Um, I already posted that swapping the lowers fixed the problem ;)

There was a good amount of metal shavings attached to the drain plug of the old lower.

I looked at every adjustment possible, it wasn't an adjustment issue.