2000 bayliner ciara need help fuel

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
hello again guys i am helping my friend solve this little problem here.

2000 bayliner ciara 2452 express engine serial # OLM612762 MCM 5 LITRE

today we went to gas up the boat, then start it, the drive belt start to squeel real loud, i pop the hatch open just to notice the belt was not turning ,it was slipping.

turn the engine off, tighten up the belt, start it again bingo boat start running great, we let it sit idle for about 5 min when it just cut right off as if it runs out of gas.

it will start but will not stay running it will just died, i dont know much about this engine so your help will be great,

it has i think a electric fuel pump , when i pump the throttle the gas does not spray it just barely drips, now i drove the boat last week about 30 miles fishing and it runs great, the charging guage was reading 13 . 5 or 6 today it was almost peg at about 16 volts.

your inputs guys, also which fuel pump will this engine takes ect.

thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2000 bayliner ciara need help fuel

If it's now dieing after you start it and it runs for about 15 to 20 seconds, the oil pressure switch has probalby failed or the wires are corroded.
The power to the fuel pump goes thru the oil pressure switch as a safety device to keep the pump from running if the engine isn't running.
The switch is on the port/aft side of the block just above the oil filter boss by the pan.

FuelPumpWiring.jpg

Your charging problem may be related to the squeeling belt. The althernator may have froze up from corrosion, then freed up. But the alternator does have problems.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2000 bayliner ciara need help fuel

thanks don, ok we will take a look at the oil switch, don i think you might hit it on the head, because at first the engine was running fine after the belt squeel issue, them i was pushing feeling around trying ti see if we could reach the oil filter when we ready to change it my hands was touching some wires down there very tight spot, so who knows i might disrupt something.

we will try to check it out monday thanks again.