Buying a used boat

danoelise

Recruit
Hello,

I've seen several threads where individuals are seeking advice on type of boat, inboard/outboard, etc. I am just beginning this process and I would like to know more about getting a used boat inspected before purchase. What should I be looking for? Are there professional services that perform these inspections? What about engine compression tests should I know? What title concerns should I have? Are there any books available that describe the process start to finish?

Thanks for any and all advice!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Buying a used boat

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.

A 30 year old boat motor combo, may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

danoelise

Recruit

Ok -

Let's just say that I want a ski boat. Water sports 90 % - fishing 10%.

7-8 people max.

I'm not particular about inboard/outboard (I know about the great debate here, but I'm not picky)

Budget is below 8k - would like to stay around 4k to 5k for this first boat. I've seen early 90's bayliners in this range locally... I have NO IDEA what to begin looking for to determine if any given boat and engine is in good/bad shape (outside of the purely visual cues - aka rotted wood, cracked vinyl etc)

I was hoping there was an actual book to help me understand the process; Getting the boat titled in my name, etc etc etc.

I'm sure many of you remember the first boat you purchased.. What mistakes did you make? What are the best practices?

THANKS!

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know of any books, but there maybe. Getting a title will vary state to state.

The only thing I would add to Tashasdadday is that buying the boat is only the beginnning of the cost of ownership. I have seen people buy a boat that could not afford to run.

The first year, I spend about 5% of the purchase price getting it set up the way I wanted it (anchors, life jackets, new tie ropes, battery, all new filters and plugs, etc). The lower unit went out at the end of the season. Cost of repair about 30% of purchase price. After the first year it was running about $250-300 per year plus gas. Run it for 3 more year without major problems.

The only regret I have with that boat was getting a 3.0L 4 cylinder engine. That was probably one of the reasons I got a good deal on it. Little low on power and louder than most of the boats on my lake.

a70eliminator

Captain

First let me say there are many threads on this subject with hours of reading and some really great advice.

Trashdaddy's post covers it well.... if I may add one more aspect:

One of the very first things to look at is the person selling the boat. Take a look around, what does the house look like, is the yard neat and clean, what about the cars in the driveway, you can tell alot about how a person maintains his stuff in just a few moments. Talk with the individual a little on a more personel level ask him to share some general boating experiences family outings ect. with his boat. You can learn alot about how well the boat was maintained without having to ask when the last oil change was if you know what I mean. Just be careful and use some common sense there's alot of shysters out there.