Replace Prop Seal Question

BudC

Recruit
Hi All,
I'm getting ready to attempt to replace the prop seals and the bearing carrier o-ring on a Model 200 (20 HP) 1978 Mercury.

Currently I have the bearing carrier pulled out. I have been reading in the manual about shimming and measuring the backlash.

Do I need to do this since I did not remove the thrust washer which the shims are behind?

I don;t think so but want to be sure I do this right so i do not have to do it again. Also, the manual says I should uise Perfect Seal to seal the bearing carrier but is there another suitable product? Something I could easily get at an automotive store (and hopefully costs less)?

Thanks for the help.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Replace Prop Seal Question

As long as you're not replacing things like gears and bearings and using all the original parts (apart from the seals and 'o' rings) then you shouldn't need to reset the clearances and backlash. Invest in a tin of perfect seal, it really is worth it if you ever want to pull it apart again.

When you're put the new prop shaft seals in, fill the cavity between them with a good marine grease, it stops the seals from burning. And grease the 'o' ring before you slide the carrier back in.

Chris........

P.S. welcome to iBoats... We have a lot of fun here:D

BudC

Recruit
Re: Replace Prop Seal Question

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the advice.

I hope to round up the last of the materials this week and tackle this project this weekend.

Thanks.