anybody here work with plastics?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: anybody here work with plastics?

Your best bet is to find a local plastics place (like an industrial gasket type of place) and go talk to them. This benefits you in two ways: 1)They know their materials and what they can and can not do so they'll be able to give you a clear choice and 2) You can buy a piece of their scrap. We use a good bit of 1/2 HDPE, and trust me, you do not want to buy a sheet of 2"...

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, price. It's unlikely they'll cut your piece out for you, it's sold by the sheet...a 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" runs ~$200, 1" runs ~$400 (4'x8') and I have never bought 2" but I can guess what it would be...(not $20, unless you shop their scrap (my point earlier) ;))...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I used a piece of hdpe on the back of my aluminum boat. There was a sheet of 3/8" wood there and it just protects the transom from the outboard. Real slippery stuff.

If you get a sheet of plastic you should use it along with a sheet of stainless or aluminum to prevent flexing.

Bondo

Staff member

Real slippery stuff.

Ayuh,.........

That's why I wouldn't use it for a Clamp On motor,........
Wood has "Give" to it,........ Put a New piece on if it's worn out........

A Through Bolted motor,.. Maybe.......

Bigprairie1

Commander

One of the most common and most used types of industrial plastics is UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight). It is extremely tough and strong. I have used it on many heavy duty (industrial) applications and it is great stuff. It has a lot of great characteristics from toughness to a low friction surface. If you google this you will get a ton of info that may be interesting.
It is easy to work with and can be readily cut to size in a mitre or table saw. It is also easily drilled so you can easily work out your primary mounting without too much fuss.
It is not overly expensive and can usually be ordered as a 'chunk' and then you can either have a plastics shop size it or do it yourself.
At any rate thats what I would use without hesitation.
Good luck...keep us posted on what you finally go with.
BP

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Has anybody thought about making bunks out of this stuff? Not sure of its weight bearing capapbilities, but there should be no problem getting the boat off the trailer with those on.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Has anybody thought about making bunks out of this stuff? Not sure of its weight bearing capapbilities, but there should be no problem getting the boat off the trailer with those on.

You cover your top of your bunks with HDPE plastic, and the problem with that is it is real sensitive to temp changes and grows as it the temp goes up. Real slippery too.
Chief Chief