rebuild carb 9.8 mercury 1981

POLINGPOWER

Cadet
what manual should i get ? thanks for any info on what to look for

the problem is it just shuts down when running if i'm quick enough and pump the bulb it will keep running:(

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: rebuild carb 9.8 mercury 1981

The ONLY manual worth having is the OEM Mercury Service manual.
The PN of the manual you want is 90-86136--1
Might give ebay a try, but you can still get them thru your local Merc dealer.

Cornell

Cadet
Re: rebuild carb 9.8 mercury 1981

I haven't seen your question before so I'll comment based on this is your first time with this problem;
Before you get into the carb you might want to consider the fuel pump. If the engine runs OK but seems to run out of gas and you pump it up by hand then you are doing the work of the fuel pump. Does it run OK then until it runs out of gas? If you repeat this step a few times and the pumping solves the shutting down, it should become apparant that the carb isn't getting fuel from the fuel pump. If that is the case and you rebuild the carb you will still have the same problem. Maybe someone on line can help you test the pump to be sure otherwise you might be better off buying fuel pump instead of manual (unless you plan to work on engine a lot) Also maybe the carb kit has schematic to direct you with pictures?? Generally the float to needle is 3/32". Previous threads will give you the procedure to adjust this. Go back 4-5 days.
My '73 merc carb was easy to take apart. It had a bowl on bottom of carb that exposed the main jet. Screwdriver takes out an entry jet then a main jet. Carb cleaner sprayed into it and compressed air to blow it out might be a no cost quick fix. I did it without having to buy gaskets. My problem is my engine runs OK but won't start up without priming carb. I used to get fuel out of the carb when I pumped it up with ball. Now when I don't get that fuel to squirt out it won't start unless I prime it. So I'm trying to figure that out. Does anyone know? Good luck with yours.