1978 Johnson 115, and Gear Lube

tobyguy

Cadet
Hi All,

According to a sticker on the engine, OMC HI-VIS is required (its for a 1978 Johnson 115).

I've been able to find SAE90 or type C gear lube that can be used on OMC engines made by Shell/Nautilus.

Will this work?

thanks,

Tobyguy

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Johnson 115, and Gear Lube

Shell owns and markets Pennzoil marine products. Their top high viscosity outboard gear lube is 100% synthetic and will perform very well for you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

type c is for electric shift motors only, which you do not have. please keep your post together.

tobyguy

Cadet

Hi,

thanks for the support...

Just to confirm, can you please let me know if the red circle in the picture is the top lower unit area to put the gear lube in (screw) and the blue circle is the area to drain the gear lube (screw)?

I unscrewed the bottom screw and a thick oily, clear fluid came out (no water watesover). I've only used the engine a few hours this year and last (I know the lube was replaced 2 years ago before I stored it by the marina in my area), so maybe that's why it's so clear.

I believe this is a good sign, though I thought water would flow to the top not the bottom (opposite of what other posts claim here), since it's lighter (didn't drain the whole thing until I get the right lube).

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tobyguy

Attachments

• lu2.JPG
    lu2.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 0

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Water will collect at the bottom (oil floats on water..... pour a little oil in a cup of water)

The plugs you indicated in the picture are correct, remove the top plug, then the botoom and drain. Fill from the bottom until it appears throu the top.

Hi-Vis is 85w90 gear oil. You are better off getting marine rated oil designed to be used in a marine enviroment.