can you believe this??

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay I need some advice from the pros here. I have a Ranger 330V and a 78 140 Johnson. Started with a 17 pitch alu prop...."came with engine"....6300rpm wot..and 43mph...figured this would happen anyways...but wanted to run the engine. Okay so I get a 19 and 21 stainless to try. Got really cold out so just wanted to try the 21 first...did. Two people..fishing gear...tank 3/4 full...18gal. Livewells dry. She still jumps out of the hole...runs up to 5900 to 6000 and runs 48. This is not GPS...its a tube and speedo. Well I figured the 21 would drop it down to 5500. From what I've read it should've. I'm fixing to order a 23. I don't want to go over a 23...just seems like alot of prop for it. Can it be possible one of these older 140's could run like this. I mean she screams. Very smooth. I have linked and synced and set timing at 24 degrees by turning over with starter...read that on here. I would say whos way this is but can't remember...sorry to the one who come up with this way... I really didn't expect it to run so well. I know this isn't a problem....a great running engine...but from what I've read it shouldn't be pushing this boat like this. Just wondering opinions from you guys. Thanks alot!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: can you believe this??

Ranger, I would verify the tach and speedo before ordering that 23 prop. Your RPM and speed numbers are quite unusual for that setup!

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes it is set to posistion six. and when it idles its around 600-650. I just can't believe its running like this. I would think it might be prop slip but but I'm not even trimming it all the way out because it gets up to 6000 like it does. I just really didn't think I would get this type of performance from this engine. Cold compression was around 105 on all cylinders. Have replaced everything on the ignition except the coils. plugs are champions set to .040. From what i've read I figured 21 degree at the most and that might be around 5300 rpm wot. I do have a 6" manual jackplate. I also have the engine just below the bottom pad...of course this is a bass boat hull so you do have the small portion under the bottom of the transom with the areators and plug in it...but thats not a pad from my understanding. I'm probably an inch under the "transom" bottom. I'm amazed at this thing. Surely a 23 will pull it on down. the 21 is a 12 3/4...the 23 I'm looking at is a 13 3/8. I would even think maybe the lower unit is slipping but it jumps out of the hole holds plane very well. Do you think someone could have rebuilt this engine for perfomance?? The block has been taken off...its painted black..and has all new gaskets all over it...I'm figuring a rebuild has taken place..and the port side head is blue...like and evinrude. I'm very happy...just kinda in disarray at the performance.

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a boat builder with me that tests and builds boats for alumacraft for the last 30 yrs. He was suprised at how it ran also. He said the engine sounded like it was getting up into that range...he runs a ranger 373 with a 150 black max. He also said the speed was close to right on for speedo...i know not gps...but he has tested many boats and he thought the engine was getting a little high...just by sound...he agreed with the tach....faria (sahara) brand new...new rectifier and stator...set to posistion 6. I really would've thought 5300 with the 21 pitch...and about 50 mph...and not so hot out of the hole...I was really figuring on going with a 19.

Lowell Lynn

Recruit

I hope you get it figured out before you melt your upper-end."Why Jhonnie Ringo,you look like somebody just walked all over your grave"."My fights not with you Holliday".I beg to differ sir,Play for blood,remember"?(Thats got to be the best western movie ever.Ive seen it around 20-25 times and have it memorized front to back.Your signiture reminded me how much I love that movie."Im your huckleberry!!!!! Lowell

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I keep it up for short bursts just to see where it is going to be at. From what I've read it won't hurt them. Yeah thats a great movie. I hope I get it figured out. I've been reading posts in the prop section and this isn't right. I figure my max pitch should be 21. I want to max at 5500 rpm so I don't have to worry so much about coking. Maybe I have a really stout motor?? haha. I just don't see it being that stout....maybe so. I'm going to GPS my speed. Any other ideas??

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I know where there are some pretty good V4 props if you're interested. Email me at dhadley50@aol.com, I'll be glad to help.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

ok, I gotta ask, what movie are you referring to that's the best western ever?

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

That movie is Tombstone....the one with Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, and Sam Elliott. I love the movie..but my fav western of all time is Lonesome Dove. Thats a good one. DHadley, I'll let you know if I need one...this 23 pitch was to cheap to pass up and in near mint shape. By the way the props I've been trying are the black OMC props that come on these motors...I've not tried anything aftermarket or newer. They are small in diameter..the 21 I was using was 12 3/4. If the 23 doesn't do what I'm after I'm going to start over and see what I can figure out. I was really thinking the 21 would've done it...I've read the diameter really doesn't effect it very much. Could I be getting that much slip?? I know this thing blows that 1150 out of the water hands down.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know how much your boat weighs, but I am running the same motor on a 16' Baja that weighs 700 pounds plus the motor. Running a 22" Raker with the cav plate 1" above the bottom. Getting 57 @ 5800 RPM...... gonna cup it and see if it does better. These motors are rated at 5,000 RPM, but if you use good oil and go 40:1 or more, you can turn them at 6,000 all day.

The newer motors are rated at 5,500 RPM. Also, remember, these motors were also rated at the powerhead, so they are the same as about 120 HP in today's numbers.

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

well after you say that I'm probably pretty close to right...I know my props I'm using don't have alot of bite to them...as they are just the stock props. I'm anxious to try that 23...my boat is heavier than yours...I think right about a 1000 with motor if I remember correctly...bass boat hull. Really lifts nice...everyone that has ridden in it says its got alot of lift for the hull. I bet a 21 with more bite..like your raker would do me alot better than the stock props do.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

I was running 48 with an aluminum 21"

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

I need to GPS mine..and see what I'm really doing. I have no idea if my speedo is close...I know most of the tube types are off. I really don't think my tach is off though. Once I get it to the rpms I want I'll keep it as is for a while and then try to find a nice prop. I'm very impressed with the engine though. As soon as I get the 23 in I'll GPS it and let you know what it really does. I need to time planing time also. It gets up with the 21 withing 3 to 4 sec i bet. my 330 is a 17' hull by the way. not nearly as deep as that baja I bet...that is a deep ski boat isn't it??

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry...weight is without the motor...about 1000#'s before the motor.

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, got the 23 pitch on it...well now she is a dog out of the hole...(expected)...and I have to really play to get it to 5500rpm...I did twice. I was alone, full tank of gas, livewells dry, all my gear....would easily get to 5000. I don't think I would get above 5000 in choppy water. Top speed was 47.6 GPS. Why would there such a difference in rpm in the 23 and 21 I tried?? They are both the old OMC type...both 12 3/4"...both three blade...although the 23 has the ring around the outside of the end of the prop on the exhaust end. The 21 also has a few nicks in it but nothing major. I really don't understand it. Does the run with the 23 seem more like it is supposed to?? I don't like having to try so hard to get to 5500. I don't need to be under 5500 right?? Would it be better to go with the 21 and just throttle back?? I want to help with the coking problem these motors have so I want to be around 5500 wot. Wasn't much difference in speed...maybe 2mph. My pilot tube was 2 mph faster than the GPS. Maybe play somemore with the 21?? Remember I had two grown men and gear with the run with the 21. Livewells dry and 3/4 tank of fuel. What do you guys think?? THanks!!

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

See if someone near you has a SS prop you can try like a 22 Raker. Sometimes dealerships or prop shops will have one you can try if you leave a deposit.

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats an idea...a vented 22 would probably be the way to go with it...is the raker vented?? I think that 23 would do pretty good if it were vented but if I had another person in the boat I know I'd never get the 5500 I want. The props i have tried are from a salvage shop...I'm sure a nice raker would be a bit different...lol. trick is to find a 13 spline one.

D

DJ

Ranger,

I stated, in your other thread, that you may want to stop experimenting with props until you address a couple other things you have going on.

I don't want to see you grenade that engine because of some simple items that needed to be addressed.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Before it got derailed this thread was about a prop question, not an engine question.

Going to the Prop Forum.