Center console dimentions

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Im wanting to build my own console for my project and im wondering what the sudjested dimentions are for the console. Im going to build it out of ply and glass the whole thing. I have never built a part like this and im wondering if this is the correct method. I want to keep the weight down as much as possible so im not sure that the ply would be the correct method. I know that i can build the console myself so i can have what i want as far as the shape and compartments. Im not sure of the height and that standard consoles are. Im sure there is not a standard but i have no idea how big they are supposed to be. Any help would be appreciated!!

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Center console dimentions

I'll try and share my console build with you. First as far as weight,needs a little heft to it so it will stand solid. Used half inch plywood, exterior, if your planing on glassing it well, that should solid it up good. Of course you will be framing the inside as you go I guess, that will make it even more sturdy and once fastened to the floor will be even more solid. I plan to use something to go thru the floor with a wing on it then fill the hole, like mounting bolts in a foundation, then finishing with screws and sealer. Gets fairly rough here at times I want something that will stay with me.
As far as demensions I tried to build mine to fit me. Another words where my arms felt most relaxed while standing, but not so high that it would be uncomforatable to sit at. Thought about what my needs were for a console, in my case it was storage and a place for the wife and child to sit. I even plan to attach a seat belt to it for my sons car seat so I don't have to be worried about him while running at speed. Alot of the time it's just him and me, putting him in front of me will be a great peice of mind. Also I designed it with the fact in mind that I may want to put a gas tank or battery in there some day.
As far as demensions, I looked in catalogs got a rough idea of sizes and went from there. Decide weather you like to sit or stand, your height will depend on one or both. I like to stand so I designed mine with that in mind. May install a leaning post or may use a seat not sure yet. And also what type of steering that you will use. Some older ones like mine take up alot of room under the dash some are round and take up little space under the dash and remember you can't make the radius in your steering cable less than 8 inches, more is better so it doesn't bind the steering.
To give you an idea I made my console roughly 31 inches high 26 inches wide 18 inches deep to the back rest, the height of my seat is roughly 17 inches like a chair bottom. my console is roughly 36 inces long. you can have a door in it were you sit or leave it open like mine. You also need to account for your gauges that you will use and there placement, a guage is no good if you can't see it comforatably, you'll forget it's there. I did put guages in, but I like to run by feel and check the guages occasionally. Once you get used to your boat you'll see what I mean.
The steering wheel should be centered in the center of the dash so don't forget to sit your console in the boat and make sure it sits to the style of your hull. I mounted my wheel center and didn't think about the angle of the console once mounted in the boat. Had to cut 1 1/2 inches of the back at the bottom to make it look right in the boat, this made my steering wheel to low. So I moved my wheel up in the dash an 1 1/2 to make the correction. Looks a little odd at that height but works well for me. So I'm pleased.
This isn't the only way to build a console just the way I built mine I hope this will help on designing yours, be interesting to see how yours comes out. Remember the deminsions are from memory so there not exact.
Hope this will help! maxum

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Yes that was verry healpful. I think im going to make a leaning post as i like to stand as well. I stand in it now and its a side console closed bow now. If you sit the ride gets a lot rougher. I like to stand and bend the knees a little bit so i can use my legs like shock absorbers. Another question that i have is... My yamaha controls as they are now, mount to the right side of the boat. I think im going to make the right side of the console (the right wall) extend up past the part where the steering wheel is. Its hard to explain. Uhhhh ok im going to make the console so i can use the same controlsbut mounted on the right side of the console just to the right of the wheel. The side pannel will raise higher that the pannel that the steering wheel will be. Does that make any sence? Anyway what you have told me is verry helpful. If you want to chat via e-mail send me a private message and we can exchange emails and talk about stuff like this. I like what you are doing in your project and i cant wait to start my shareaproject further. As the boat is right now, it is a lot farther along than my shareaproject page is but its still a closed bow. I used it all this past summer and i love how the hull handels rough waters. I pulled up the floor and replaced it last winter and glassed it all down the way it was cause i liked the closed bow look at first. Now after becoming a little more experianced with salt water fishing i want more room and i want to keep the same hull because i love it. I know its going to be a huge difference once i change everything around like that but i think if i keep the weight disperced correctally i wont have a problem. Thank you for your input and i look forward to chatting with you in the future.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Maxum247, do you have a project started on shareaproject? If not do you have some more photos that you would be willing to share? And did i read somewhere that you were using a kerosene heater in a garage to heat it whyle you were working? Im going to send you a pm with my email addy so we can chat some more. See ya!

maxum247

Lieutenant

I personally NEVER use any open flame in a garage, fire and chemicals don't mix! And that goes for drop lights with an open unprotected bulb, you drop the light the bulb breaks you have an open spark. You need a light that is sealed, so that if it's dropped the spark is contained within.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

google todd center consoles. you will get the average sizes, i used the smallest they make.