Lock or unlock ?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good day. Anytime an OB (any brand) is raised and then taken down at the run position on the transom the lock latch always defaults at the lock position. Any reason for that ? I always unlock it manualy so the engine can come up in case I hit a rock or something hard since I would not want to see the transom break or get damaged.

Tx for you feedback

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lock or unlock ?

It locks so the engine does not pop out of the water in reverse. But if you are traveling in shallow water, then it may benefit you more to leave the lock off...

jbjennings

Captain

As said, it locks for reverse. Outboards also have a mechanism that is supposed to unlock itwhen in forward gear when you hit something. Bad thing is, from my experience, they don't always work. I have a '99 johnson 30 hp and it was supposed to unlock when you hit a stump but never did and twice it broke all the shallow drive stuff on it. As said in the previous post, I always unlock mine when traveling less than WOT in any stump infested location. Never run it unlocked at WOT, however---it may wind up in your lap.
Just an opinion,
JBJ

rndn

Commander

I don't understand the statement of never run it WOT unlocked or it will wind up in your lap??

jbjennings

Captain

From my experience, if it's not on the lock position, if you hit something the thing has no resistance to going up and it will flop up quick--perhaps so hard that it might rip off the transom and wind up in your boat, or shear something off and continue farther up than it should. Keep in mind I said it MAY wind up in your lap and that I only run motors smaller than 35 hp so if we're talking about bigger engines, I certainly don't have any idea about this. If it's in lock position, the motor will have to hit something to overcome the spring mechanism which has to let the motor come up, but still have some resistance which is better than no lock at all. I'm thinking that in "lock" position, it's really not "locked" in forward, only in reverse. Even an engine in locked position can and should come up when in forward and it strikes an underwater object. But if you're going wide open and it's not in locked position, it'll fly up a HECK of a lot harder and in my opinion, is more dangerous, so I don't do it. I think the manufacturer also recommends it never be run WOT in the unlocked position for that reason, but am not sure.

JBJ

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Running in the lock position at WOT for that particular reason is new to me ... for the lock mechanism to be able to unlock upon hitting something is also new to me. Wish I had more comments on that. Tx

Merc25XD

Seaman

My 1985 Merc 25hp is unlocked while in forward gear and locked when in reverse and neutral. It's the only way it makes sense.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My 1985 Merc 25hp is unlocked while in forward gear and locked when in reverse and neutral. It's the only way it makes sense.

Well my 1997 Force 15hp and 1981 Johnson 9.9hp both lock automaticaly in any gear. I have to manualy unlock both in forward gear. Seems Merc is the only one that had a vision of all those rocks in the rivers I fish on ... LOL