How to access iBoats from countries that are blocked (eg Australia).

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Vlad D Impeller asked how I was getting on iBoats from Australia. I am using a proxy server located in the States. I'm using theproxyfree.com, but there are many more, just put 'free proxy' into google and you'll have hundreds. These were originally set up for people to bypass network access blocking from places like work or universities. You just go to the site and type in the web address of where you want to go. The target site thinks the client (you) are the proxy server and your own network thinks information is being accessed from the proxy and can't see beyond it. Easy really. The other method some people use is to buy an anonomizer program, which hides your IP address from the target site, but that costs money, and since I'm a cheap 'person' I prefer the free method.:D

Hope this helps........

Chris.................

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How to access iBoats from countries that are blocked (eg Australia).

Hi Chris,......

Glad to see ya again............;)

I read about the recent Elections in your Home turf................
Sorry...........:rolleyes: :D

Are you still hanging around with that little foreign Lass,..??..........

achris

Hi Bond-o and thanks for the welcome back.... in answer to your question, look at my thread called "He's gone and done it now!!!" (also in DC)....

Cheers,

Chris..............

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Did I miss something here? I didn't think you could block a country from the www. I thought we had a handful of Australian members.

Nandy

Commander

You can block anything from hitting your servers and the originating ISP can do also. However, I was not aware that australia was blocking some places on the usa or viceversa, will someone care to elaborate? pls!!!

achris

iBoats has been hit with so many DoS attacks from the China region that the only way to stop it was to stop access to their servers from any IP address that begins with a particular group of numbers. Unfortunately Australian IP addresses are in that group, so we got chopped off as well :(:mad:

Mods correct me if I'm wrong....(which they usually do anyway:D)

Chris............

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

It's a shame that you folks have to jump through hoops to get on here, especially now since the board regained it's civility.
I would have thought that such exclusionary procedures could perhaps be better targeted, however my technical knowledge such matters are next to nil. :(

Dunaruna

Admiral

I use an anonomizer program which costs about $25 a year. I used to use the free ones like Chris but I found them slow and unreliable.

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Proxy server from the states? Anonomizer program? I must be missing something here as well, I've never had a problem accessing iboats.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey another Aussie. Cool!! Rare since it has been hard to get on for most. I was just in Sydney and was able to get on. I had to use a Proxy once, but I also had few issues from Bangkok on the same trip. Seems to be a little better/easier now . . .