Warning horn problem

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi everyone

I have a 1993 Mercury 40 hp (serial OD152581) with the commander 2000 control. Lately I have not been getting the beep, beep-beep self test of the oil and overheat warning module and I thought that my warning module was shot.

This winter I have the motor and control box in the basement when I turn the key to the on position I hear a very faint beep beep which makes sense because I drained the oil tank. Has anybody had a horn go bad on them? I took the control box apart and checked the connections to the horn and tried it again and it was still very faint.

Has anyone ever had to replace a horn?

Other suggestions?

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Warning horn problem

Do you think a faint sounding horn is the horn going bad or something wrong with the wiring or warning module?

I looked up the price for a new horn and it was $40, yikes! But I would rather replace that than the warning module at $80.

The only reason I don't think the horn is bad is I have the accessory waring harness for the tachometer and there is an extra brown wire that is used for an alarm on V6 engines. I grounded that out and the alarm went off and it was going full blast, not the faint sound I get when I turn the key.

I hope this makes sense.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

That certainly confirms the horn is good. Check your wiring to the alarm module to be sure everything is clean and tight.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

That includes sliding the contacts back and forth or whatever other means you devise to insure that the part of the contact that really needs to be clean you can't see unless you disconnect the connection. Might spray with a solvent when you are doing that and when finished, dry off and apply some sort of sealer, like silicon grease, or some of the sprays that are available now....like current Merc uses on their terminals.

Mark

j_martin

Admiral

That certainly confirms the horn is good. Check your wiring to the alarm module to be sure everything is clean and tight.

Double check the ground connection on the warning module.