Leaking log splitter

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys. Does any one know how to replace the ram seal on 4 inch hydraulic cylinder. Its the welded type and the leak is getting really severe. Best place is about 45 miles away and they want me to bring it in to see if they can do it. I would at least like to know a little bit so I won't feel like a lamb on his way to a meat packing plant. Thanks Tom

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Leaking log splitter

Some cylinders require special tools to disassemble/reassemble them. Get a ballpark from them assuming they can rebuild it and compare that to a new cylinder. You might be surprised to find the new cylinder less costly...

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks bjcsc
I guess why I am uneasy is they wouldn't give me any kind of guesstimate with out seeing it. This is a simple Tractor supply splitter and I'm kinda leary of anyone in this area that hasn't seen one before.

JRJ

Commander

If its welded and can't be taken apart to re-seal, clean up where it leaks and run some more weld around.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I'd be a bit leery myself. If they can't ballpark seal replacement, no matter what it is, I'm seeing a worm on a hook. Welded cylinders are only welded on one end, the other end typically has a big circlip that lets you get at the seals/piston. If I were you, I'd check with TSC to see if they can get a seal kit for it. If they can, and it's inexpensive, great, and go for it yourself after doing a bit of research on the method. If they can't, see if they can order a new replacement cylinder. If that costs more than $220, order a new one from surplus center. They have a 3000psi 4x24 at $199 (plus shipping)...

Edit: Bear in mind that seals are one potential reason the cylinder is leaking. Other reasons could include the tube being out of round and/or the shaft being bent. Log splitter cylinders are cheap.

whywhyzed

Banned

welded type that can be disassembled????

gee, I doubt it.

got any pics?

Sometimes there's a heavy gauge lock wire wound into a "pocket" to hold the gland in. There's a few other tricks, but all resealable real easy ... mind you I haven't seen it all....

Don't weld on a vessel full of flammable oil please....

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't weld on a vessel full of flammable oil please....

Kinda what I was thinking also... I know oils are hard to get to burn depending but at the temp needed to weld any oil would probably start pretty easy.

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you called our shop up and needed an estimate on a hydrualic cylinder without the part number of the cylinder, we would not be able to give a good estimate as well. The problem is that most companies do not make the cylinders, and the same splitter model may have one or more differant cylinders models, depending on when it was made.

The ones we work with are one of four different types (Welded, Bolted, Wire, and snap ring). Welded ones can not be taken apart to replace the rubber seals inside or at the ends. Bolted have four bolts and nuts holding both end caps on. Wire as others have said, have a wire at one end that is removed from a small slot at the ram end. Lastly the snap ring, has a snap ring inside the ram end.

If the weld is leaking and you are going to weld it, make sure you don't get the barrel of the cylinder to hot as this will melt the rubber seals inside.

I would also price a new one as mentioned.

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the replies. I have located the MFG and they sell a seal kit also they told me to first go to the local bearing shop as it is pretty generic. So I guess then it is a pretty common job as I thought it should be. I guess I will start looking around Dallas, I just wanted to avoid the 150 mi round trip twice. The welds are not leaking. I gotta start being clearer. You guys are suppose to know what I am talking about at all times :)
Thanks again

Kenneth Brown

Captain

If memerory serves theres a couple of Hyd shops in both Tyler and Longview.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just about any motorcycle shop will have a mechanic that does fork work or a excavating company will have a mechanic too. Cylinder rebuild is pretty straight forward but easier if you have done it before.

Northern Tool sells many cylinders that are double acting that would also fit the bill.