Yamaha 250 throttle lever problem

Gatormag

Recruit
I have a 250 Yammie, about 3 years old. Never had a problem with it until today. It shifts into forward and reverse fine, but only up to idling speed. When I push forward, or back, to accelarate, the lever sticks at about the 35 degree point. I can only idle right now.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help. Love the site.

lasvegaskid

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 250 throttle lever problem

I have a 250 Yammie, about 3 years old. Never had a problem with it until today. It shifts into forward and reverse fine, but only up to idling speed. When I push forward, or back, to accelarate, the lever sticks at about the 35 degree point. I can only idle right now.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help. Love the site.

I would take the engine cover off, and disconnect the throttle cable. With the engine off Move the lever and see if it still sticks. If not, put that back on, and take off the shift cable. See if it sticks then. You might have a pinched cable. Rodbolt is the man, but right now I think he is full of Turkey lol..... Bob

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no turkey, just bull :)
anyway we gotta ask, is this a 4 stroke or 2 stroke? gotta know as the throttles are very different on the engines.
engine model number always helps.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dissconnect the clip from the cable at the engine end, manually move the throttle lever on the engine and observe if it opens fully or not, if they do then place a light pressure on the cable end and move the control handle.
if it binds you will feel it.
the black teleflex cables tend to fail early and often.
what control box are you using ?