Power Trim Issue w. 2 stroke 90 Yamaha

nmiller

Recruit
Just recently went to take the boat out and the power trim was not working properly. Never had any type of problems in the past. I was able to raise and lower manually, but trying to get to the bottom of the problem. When trying to use the remote trim control-I can hear a click as if it is trying to trim up or down. Initially I thought it was not getting power from the battery, but have ruled that out. Any suggestions-on troubleshooting methods? Thanks

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Power Trim Issue w. 2 stroke 90 Yamaha

First question, are you sure you're getting enough power from the battery. I have a 90 Yamaha also, a few times this year corrosion at the battery terminals caused a bad connection. I was getting enough power to trip the solenoid but not enough to run the trim motor. If you're sure your getting enough power my guess would be the trim motor.

isla

Seaman Apprentice

Just recently went to take the boat out and the power trim was not working properly. Never had any type of problems in the past. I was able to raise and lower manually, but trying to get to the bottom of the problem. When trying to use the remote trim control-I can hear a click as if it is trying to trim up or down. Initially I thought it was not getting power from the battery, but have ruled that out. Any suggestions-on troubleshooting methods? Thanks

In addition to the suggestions already had, to give evidence directly to the motor voltage trim, the relay in order to bypass all the electrical part.
If the trim work, could be the relay cables or oxidized:)

lasvegaskid

Cadet

What year is the motor? There are 2 wires coming from the trim motor. If they are the same color as mine, they are Blue & Green. Put a battery charger to them directly. One will make it will go up, reverse them it will go down. You can check the relay by putting a volt meter on the wires that go to the motor from the relay. If you have voltage coming out of the relay when you push the switch, Check the motor.
Post and let us know. Bob

nmiller

Recruit

It is a 2003 90hp 2 stroke yamaha. Ruled out getting enough power from the battery, hooked a new battery up same results-makes the same noise-kind of a click when you try to go up or down w/ it. I guess the next step is to take look at the relayer. I looked at it-and it seem fairly easy to pop out to test the wires-it does have the blue, green wires. So your suggestion is to check the voltage on the wiring, and hook a battery charger directly up to relayer. When I took it out-I did see some corrosion, but did not do any of the testing. At this point I am tempted to take it to a shop-I am a rookie-when it comes to engine repairs. The testing seems fairly easy though-maybe that is my next effort.
Should have been out fishing vs messing w/ boat!!