Muzzleloader Conicals

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a TC Hawken that I haven't shot in a few years and only have experience with shooting patched roundballs from it. The barrell has a 1/48 twist which is suitable for shooting conicals but I have never shot them before. This summer I aquired a box (about 100) of conicals from an estate sale and have been wanting to try them out in my gun. Do these go directly over the powder charge or is there a buffer between the powder charge and the conical similar to a patch?

Also does anyone have recommendations for a starting load using Goex FFg?

Helpful advice appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Muzzleloader Conicals

Caliber??

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I use Remington "wonder wads" over the powder and saboted conicals.
No idea on the Goexx.

PAkev

It is a .50 cal. flintlock.

Bassman, My understanding is sabots and conicals are a dog of two different breeds as the conical directly contacts the barrell whereas the sabot is actually a holder encasing a smaller projectile.

Also read somewhere that shooting sabots from a gun not designed for sabots can ruin the barrell.

Goex is a brand of black powder. I have tried substitutes such as Pyrodex which have resulted in poor ignition.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Lube them up real good and load them right onto the powder. Sabots will not ruin a barrel (they are just plastic) and I shoot sabots with .45 XPT 250 grain bullets out of my Knight ..... it's my favorite BP load over 2 pyrodex 50 grain pellets.

The lead bullets are a pain to start but pack a nice wallop.

Laddies

Banned

The only thing my 50 cal. TC Hawkens will shoot accurately is a patched ball and real black powder I use 80 to 90 grains of Goex FFFG or FFG I like the triple F as it burns cleaner and quicker any thing over 90 grains just sets the grass on fire. I have played with loads for my rifle for 20 years and for good accuracy alway come back to the round ball it holds a 2" group at 75 yards quite easily. I have friends with newer rifles what work well with the modern loads so L called TC to ask why mine won't they asked for the serial number and said my rifle has the 1 in 48 but the newer rifles had quicker rifleing for the new loads

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

1 in 24 is a better twist for sabots but for lead bullets I am sure 1 in 48 will work but not as accurate.

I agree nothing beats good old real black powder.

DO NOT LEAVE ANY GAP between the Powder and the Bullet or DANGEROUS PRESSURE WILL RESULT.

PAkev

Thanks for the info

I also have a .54 Great Plains flintlock with a 1/66 twist barrell which holds a much better pattern than the Hawken. I built the TC from a kit and didn't know much about the barrel twist when selecting it. If it shoots conicals better than roundballs, I may use it for the upcoming flintlock season in 4 weeks.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

PAkev, you can get conicals either saboted or direct barrel fit (lubed conicals).
It's probably just a matter of terminology, all that really matters is safety and a good hunt.
Happy hunting! :)

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm taking it that it is a percussion rifle. If so your tc hawken was made for shooting their "Maxi balls" or round balls. I would try to use bullets that expand to the rifling. Buffalo, Tc, anything with a grease groove on it. Don't go too heavy.

turfman

PAkev

It is a .50 cal. flintlock.

Tried about a dozen shots today over 90 grains of FFg Goex and couldn't get acceptable consistency... The first few shots could probably be attributed to not knowing what to expect. I have more experimenting to do and will hopefully figure something out.

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

reread the post again and found that it is a flint. What grain are the conicals? You figure your roundballs weigh in at around 180grns; that being said; start at the load you would usually use for roundballs. Conical bullets range from 220grn uo to over 400grn for fifty cal so you're probably gonna use a heavier load than your accustomed to.

Besides that: you're from Pa. this stuff should have been done months ago...
Just kidding. Where from in Pa. Boating is about my third passion; nothing comes close to my muzzleloader addictions.

turfman