4 Cyl tow 3k lb rig?

Sdowiat

Recruit
I've got an Expedition that I use to tow my 3,000 lb rig. It gets about 15 on the interstate alone, towing it gets 10. I plan to keep the Expedition but want a small 4 cyl straight shift pickup that gets good MPG.

The stats say that both 4 cyl Toyotas and Nissans are rated to tow 3,500 lbs. Do you think they are really capable of that? A Ranger is rated for only 1400 lbs so that is a big difference that I don't understand. The size and HP of the Ranger is a little less.

Do any of you pull 3000 lbs boats with a small 4 cyl?

jevery

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4 Cyl tow 3k lb rig?

I'd say it depends on the distance you expect to travel and speeds you'd like to maintain. You'll likely lug down to 40-45 up moderate grades. I personally wouldn't attempt any distance on the interstate. On secondary highways maintaining 50-55. Give it a try. Does the trailer have brakes? I use a 6 cyl 3.3 liter to tow 3500lbs. I tow at about 60 mph and it'll maintain that up moderate grades. I could tow faster but I'd be pushing it too hard for my conservative taste. It will lug down to 35 - 40 up steep grades, and it stops well thanks to surge brakes.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

4cylinder ain't gonna cut it. and stopping is even worse.

rndn

Commander

My brother tried to tow a 2000 pound boat with a new 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma. Didn't work and ended up trading it in on a Trailblazer with the inline six. It wouldn't even pull it on a flat road doing 65mph.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

4cylinder ain't gonna cut it. and stopping is even worse.

Agreed.

The weak link in any standard shift small pickup is the clutch. The brakes are sized to match the power and expected load. Again, weak in a 4 cyl. small truck.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Not for that weight, both pulling it and especially stopping it.

tommays

Admiral

47b7d700b3127ccebc78166d196a00000036100AaOWLZq3ct2IA

I had Toyota 4 cylinder Dullie pickup around 1985 that pulled real well ;)

BUT i have never seen any other small Dullie truck after that one

Tommays

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

My boat is 2900lbs and I pull it with a 2003 Suburban, I have electric brakes on the trailer and would not feel comfy pulling it with anything smaller than what I have. This is just my honest opinion, now it is a single axle trailer to, and I think that is the difference, but It would not be safe in my eyes.

Bryan

edzzed

Seaman Apprentice

all ya gotta do is think back to the days when they made small toyotas into those little motorhomes, i still see one around every once in a while but they are getting rare. they are also duallies. i assume they built them a little better than an off the line toyota. you should see my truck towing my boat. we are talking serious overkill. 98 dually diesel with 12 ft aluminum and 9.9 on the trailer. dang well can't even tell it's there except to look in the mirror. Ed

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

Consider me the resident toyota expert.. I've been building them for about 6 years, mainly the 2.4L (22R/22RE/22RTE) trucks.

We're talking about trucks rated between 100-125 hp. Can they tow 3000lbs? Absolutely! Can they tow 3000 lbs up a hill? Not very well.. Not if you want to hold speed. Braking is OK - I wouldn't do mountain passes or extensive down grades, but they're safe at highway speeds under normal conditions.

I've recently towed a 19CSS Glastron (around 3k lbs) with an 1988 4runner.. It has a turbo motor and I'd slow down to 3rd / 50 mph on hills. Stock, I'd be looking at 30-45 mph on a significant grade. Maybe 2nd gear.

Newer toyotas (2RZ / 3RZ) (2.4 / 2.7L) are more efficient, rated for more hp and do a little better. They'll have to be wound up a little more, but will do the job.

Bottom line - they'll tow.. Flat and level just fine. If you're doing long tows up or down grades, I'd find something else...

greg_upnorth

Seaman Apprentice

have not towed a boat with 4cyl but have towed (2) atv's with my FIL's nissan truck, 4 cylinder w/ manual, mid 90's. One in the bed, one on the trailer, total weight about 1500 lbs give or take. northern wisconsin terrain, not mountainaous, just gently rolling hills thru twisting turning woods. my opinion: ITS a dog. again, thats only about 1500 lbs including the load in the bed and your thinking of hauling a 3000 lb boat? dunno, if it were me, id get at least a big v6.

My boat rig is 2800 lbs, i tow that with a 6 cyl ranger. That has trouble going uphill on the freeway. However, i generally boat at one of the 5 or 6 lakes within a 3 mile radius of my home and i dont need to hop on the freeway so im not in a rush to upgrade as the truck is free and clear. as soon as it dies though, i do plan on upgrading to something bigger...

-Greg

reelfishin

Captain

I have a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger. The problem I have isn't towing the weight, (I've towed as much as 5,000 lbs.). The problem is with traction on the boat ramp or on soft ground. Being only a 2 wheel drive and having a rather tall rear ratio, it's not very well suited for steep hills, dirt, or boat ramps. It does fine with a 1100 lb bass boat, but has real trouble on the ramp with a 1400lb trihull.
I towed a 19' Renken home with it with no problems but wouldn't even consider trying to launch or reload that boat at the dock with this truck.
I suppose some sand bags and a gear change would help a lot, but I like the 24 mpg plus I get out of this truck.

I had an older 4x4 Toyota P/U with a 22RE and a 5 speed manual, that had 4:10 gears and did ok at the ramp, but had trouble maintaining road speed with heavier loads. I towed a car trailer with another Toyota pickup once, it did the job but took forever and stopping as also a problem.

My Ranger does far better on the road and stops a lot better, but it feels "lighter" on the road than did the Toyota. The Toyota also didn't get the kind of mileage I get out of the Ford.

It's not always the size of the engine, pay close attention to the final drive ratio and the torque ratings. Oversize tires also hurt a trucks ability to handle larger loads as well.

MikDee

Banned

I have a 96' S-10 pickup with the 4.3V6 auto, and 2WD. I tow a 2500lb boat no problem (except uphill backwards in my driveway), The orig. 3:08 highway gears don't help much here! but I'm working on maybe putting in a 3:42 Posi. I get good gas milage (20mpg + around town without the boat) of course. I would think this, or a small Blazer with this V6 would be your best bet.

Ok actually it's a GMC Sonoma (an S-10 clone) :D

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Why not look at the new Hybrid vehicles.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

i would say an 22re or newer Toyota 4 cly with an 5 speed would do the job might find yourself in 3rd up a steep hill but will do it just fine if your not in a real hurry.

Kenny1970

Seaman

I've got an Expedition that I use to tow my 3,000 lb rig. It gets about 15 on the interstate alone, towing it gets 10. I plan to keep the Expedition but want a small 4 cyl straight shift pickup that gets good MPG.

The stats say that both 4 cyl Toyotas and Nissans are rated to tow 3,500 lbs. Do you think they are really capable of that? A Ranger is rated for only 1400 lbs so that is a big difference that I don't understand. The size and HP of the Ranger is a little less.

Do any of you pull 3000 lbs boats with a small 4 cyl?

Make sure you wear a seat belt and bring a change of under pants in case you have a tire blow.Also get ready for the gas MPG to drop.

I have found out that a 6 cyl gets much better mpg than a 4cyl any day when pulling a "small" trailer

I use a 2003 2500HD Chevy 6.0 300hp with 410 gears with a locked rear end.
My mpg sucks but I will get where I am going at any speed and safely.

reelfishin

Captain

I just used a buddies truck to tow a 20' boat home about 100 miles, most of the driving was back roads and through small towns. The truck was a 2002 GMC 1500 pickup with a 4.7L V8 with an auto trans. I was surprised at how well it did on fuel. I filled the tank when I left, and again when I took him the truck back, to my amazement it got over 20 mpg. The boat and trailer weighed in at about 3600 lbs. It towed fine, I couldn't really feel the trailer on the back and it stopped pretty good too for not having any brakes.
My 4 cylinder Ranger wouldn't have gotten that kind of mileage even with a lighter trailer, let alone be able to handle that weight over a long distance.
I've always preferred Fords, but if a deal came up I think I'd have to consider a newer GMC or Chevy just for the mileage.

45Auto

Commander

The truck was a 2002 GMC 1500 pickup with a 4.7L V8 with an auto trans. I was surprised at how well it did on fuel. I filled the tank when I left, and again when I took him the truck back, to my amazement it got over 20 mpg. The boat and trailer weighed in at about 3600 lbs.

Tell him to hang on to that truck! Official numbers are 14 mpg city, 18 mpg highway (unloaded). It's doing WAAAAY better than it should! My friend's identical Chevrolet (2002, 4.8L) gets about 10 mpg pulling my 22' Crownline (5000 lb). I think it gets about 15 mpg around town, and 17 on the highway unloaded.

reelfishin

Captain

I have two neighbors that have near identical trucks, both are 2001 Chevys with 5.3/auto powertrains, both are 4x4, both are extra cab long bed trucks. One is a Z71 the other is not marked as such. The Z71 gets about 13 mpg, the other gets near 20 on long runs.

The one I used with the smaller motor, had good power, handled the trailer really well, and I wasn't particularly careful about mileage either.
He says its always gotten exceptional mileage. It's got over 130,000 miles on it too. I think the only thing he's ever done to it is a new alternator a few weeks ago, (the reason I had the truck here in the first place), a set of tires, and regular maintenance.

I was expecting to see about 15 or so per gallon, I was actually concerned that the gas gauge wasn't working when I got where I was going and the gauge hadn't moved hardly at all. (My 4 cylinder Ranger would have burned more gas, the mileage on that goes downhill fast when towing). I had an older carbureted 4 cylinder Ranger also with a 2.3L that got fantastic mileage when towing and it did much better power wise since it had a lot lower rear ratio.
I loose about 12 mpg when towing with my '94 Ranger 2.3L stick, but with the tall gears, it's hard to get out of 4th with a trailer attached.

Docknocker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After towing for many years, in addition to being the former owner of a trucking company, I think I'm qualified to offer my experienced opinion here.
Theoretically, you could tow 10,000 lbs with a 1/2 ton pickup, given the correct trailer/axle configuration, tongue weight and road conditions.
BUT, in the real world it won't work - try to pull a 10 mile 3% grade, or panic stop at highway speed, or pull up the boat ramp with an addition 1500 lbs of water in the bilge and the days gear on board.
When setting up a tow vehicle, always, ALWAYS err on the side of caution. Saving 10 gals of gas won't do you anything if you fry the tranny or clutch at the ramp, or worse yet, can't stop when you need to.
Bigger IS better when it comes to towing