How to test outdrive? Engine overheated.

LazzardKng

Recruit
I have a Wellcraft 2800 Martinique with twin I/O V6 4.3 Gi Volvo Penta's. I had two problems this weekend one I don't believe had to do with the other besides the fast that they happened within min of eachother.

The first and I believe most serious was. While returning to port the boat was very sluggish and would not get up onto plain. After a couple min I still could not get the boat onto plain and I notices the starbord engine was running hot (was up to about 210) so I shut it down. I proceeded nice and easy on the port engine just to get us back to port. After a couple min of limping home I lost ALL electrical power and the port engine died. I was lucky that there was another boat in the area that towed us to port. Once there I decided to try the engines again and low and behole both engines started, idled, and ran fine for several min without any problems.

The second problem (electrical) I believe I will find a loose wire either at the main battery switches or the batteries themselfs is the problem. What I am more worried about is the first problem lack of power to the water (not being able to get the boat up on plain and the engine overheating.

Since the engine starts and runs without overheating how can I and or how should I test the outdrive to see it there is something wrong with it causing lack of power to the water and puting excess straine on the engine causing it to over heat?

Any Suggestions as to what I should look for?
:confused:

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: How to test outdrive? Engine overheated.

There's nothing wrong with your drive. Just the impeller pump mounted on the front of your engine.

LazzardKng

Recruit

I can understand how that would affect the engine overheating but before it overheated I could not get enough power to even get the boat up on plain. Any thoughts.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Fix the impeller. It's a EFI engine. The ECM probably found the overheat before you did and put it in SLOW mode to prevent damage.

TilliamWe

Banned

I didn't know hpw to say it, but that's exactly what i was thinking too, Don.
The one time my impeller was trashed, my wife was driving the boat, and it was real sluggish and wouldn't plane. When I looked over, the temp guage was rising rapidly! Replaced the impeller while being towed through a lock, fired it up, and drove 60 miles home, no problems.
Replace your raw water impeller, and you'll be all fixed.