New boater looking for advice

OMNIHUGE

Recruit
Ok I've never owned a boat before, but I have ski'd some and fished all my life. I want a boat that I can fish out of, but more than that I want something that can be used for cruising, tubing, and skiing. I'm a large guy, about 6'03" and 230 lbs.

That said, I have ski'd behind a 40hp evinrude outboard on a 16 ft boston whaler, in my younger days. This was not easy, but I could slalom after a drop.

I have a budget probably too small for what I need. I was looking at mostly 3.0 ltr i/o's like stingray, bayliner, glastron, etc. I recently spoke with a co worker that has a 04 Larson 185 sei fish n ski 3.0 volvo. He only wants about half of what it is worth. I know most people will say it's underpowered, but I can't imagine it being even close to the boston whaler experience I had. I think it will work for me. Mostly smaller inland freshwater lakes is where I'll use it.

I just want to get started with boating and I hope I can get some feedback on here as to whether or not this will fit my needs. I think the most adults this boat would ever see is about 4 or 2 and 2 dogs. Any advice would be appreciated.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New boater looking for advice

I think you will be OK with the 3.0, I own a 16' open bow with a 75 HP evinrude on it. I am 6'1" tall and 235 lbs., my driver is 6'4" and 345 Lbs. and a spotter of about 200 Lbs. The boat pulls me up without a problem. I did do some modifications to the boat to assist me with deepwater starts. I installed the Nautics Smart Tabs for a quicker plane and a fly high pylon to keep the rope up. I also pitched the prop as low as I could for best possible hole shot. As long as you have the right set up with the prop and possibly a pylon you should have no problem.

OMNIHUGE

Recruit

Thanks I was hoping to hear some of that. How much are those tabs? I know nothing about them, but they do seem highly recommended. You saying that boat pulls you out on a single ski w/o a problem, or are you dropping one?

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently spoke with a co worker that has a 04 Larson 185 sei fish n ski 3.0 volvo. He only wants about half of what it is worth. I know most people will say it's underpowered, but I can't imagine it being even close to the boston whaler experience I had. I think it will work for me. Mostly smaller inland freshwater lakes is where I'll use it.

Yup, I am of the opinion that a 3.0L on a Larson 185 is under powered. But don't just take my word for it. Go out with your coworker and give it a try. It might work, especially if you drop a ski.

Larson is a well built boat and that means it has some weight to it. That sized boat should have at a minimum a 4.3L if you are going to use it for water sports. You might ask why this coworker is so eager to get rid of this boat after just 3 years.

BTW - My friend's 18.5 is powered by a 5.0L V8.

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm 6'1" and 200. I've skied behind all kinds of boats.
We had a 4Winns with the 3.0L. It's adequate, if you know how to ski.
That being said, guys your size can easily keep the boat from coming up on plain without a problem. I could sit in the water and the boat wouldn't bring me up.. It would drag me all day long.

Load that boat with more than 2-3 people and it's going to have a hard time getting you up, even with a good skier.

I'd really recommend at least a 4.3L V6 boat. If cost is an issue, go a year or two older... The extra 2 cylinders makes a big difference in what you can and can't do with the boat.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks I was hoping to hear some of that. How much are those tabs? I know nothing about them, but they do seem highly recommended. You saying that boat pulls you out on a single ski w/o a problem, or are you dropping one?

The smart tabs are about $125.00.

Most of the time I am dropping one, but I can still get up on one with some effort.

Like I said before, The setup is everything, mostly prop.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Hmmmmmmm, I'm an old fart that has ben a fairly cornsistent very aggressive skiier fer 40 years give or take. I am in very good physical shape n' weigh 210 lbs n' I'm 6' 0" tall. I have skiied behind 25 hp Johnnyrudes when I was young to V-8 IOs n' Mastercraft type ski boats. I learned behind my moms 50 hp Merc, (so I learned to drag a leg when doin' a deep water start). #1 I hate boat wakes n' waves in general when I'm behind the ol' ski boat on me agressive single ski cuttin' glass up n' showin' off. #2 I like to have a real strong hole shot. #3 I like ta ski jus' under 35 MPH.

Some of me ski buds are big fellers 350 lbs + or -. I would favor an outboard with at least 100 HP, (If the boat is light), n' 150 HP (or bigger) v-6 outboard if the boat is heavy. I/Os have the biggest n' widest wakes, (hate 'em), but are the best fer gas milage rough water et al. Mastercraft type ski boats would not be very good fish boats but have a smaller narower harder wakes then the I/Os. The outboards are the best ski boats but drink lots of gas.

I have a 18' very old Sabrecraft, (like a modern 20' boat) with very high gunnels with a screamin' ol' Merc 1000, (100 HP at the crank). It will rip out me or me larger buds outa deep water any old time, (the big boys can't stall her either), she has a woppin' 1" high wake n' runs 40MPH + with 4 adults.

Old Mercs aren't good in salt water, n' maybe be hard ta get werked on if they break, but other then that they are great ski engines. The 140 HP crank or 115 HP prop Johnnyrudes v-4 were very good fer the same thing, (they jus' can't catch me old Mercs when I put the hammer down but maybe be more dependable).

I would pass on an underpowered I/O; get a v-8 if ya go that route!!

My overpriced $.02 JR

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you want to do water sports, 4.3 in minimum. or you will be unhappy.

D

DJ

The trouble is that watersports are rarely done behind an empty boat. Everybody wants to go. That really taxes the 3.0L.

If the boat is that great of a deal, I can't blame you for buying it. I probably would too. Just be prepared to invest in props. and maybe some Smart Tabs. Even with those, the boat may still struggle with heavy loads.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

If the boat is that great of a deal, I can't blame you for buying it. I probably would too. Just be prepared to invest in props. and maybe some Smart Tabs. Even with those, the boat may still struggle with heavy loads.

But, at least you'll in a boat. Even if you can't use it for watersports the first year, you can still fish with it the first year, and then tweak it for sports over the next winter.

OMNIHUGE

Recruit

I know it may be a bit underpowered, but I am a first time (hopefully) owner, and really i just wanna get out there, and hopefully have enough power to do some watersports from time to time.

I grew up mostly fishing off of 16ft 15hp o/b's and I'm sure this will be an amazing step up. My dad always wanted a boat and just recently got one at age 63. I'm not willing to wait that long for something I want that's so attainable. I'm looking at this boat with the knowledge that I will most certainly upgrade over time. Plus with the price, I think I could probably sell or trade without ending up upside down. Thanks for the input so far.

Anyone have experience with this boat or one's real similar? Thanks again.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

My brother in law has an 04 larsen it is the 21' open bow and his has a 350 mag with a duoprop. It has enough power but doesn't set any records by any means. The duo prop really helps with holeshot as they seem to grab a lot of water. Larsens are good boats with well thought out interiors and nice lines on the ext. Would your co worker take you out for a test spin? That is probably enough power for some water sports( wake boarding/knee boarding/ pulling tubes) but I think slalom skiing would be tough for beginners especially if there were people aboard. But as mentioned the right prop can do wonders. Either way good luck and welcome to one of the greatest pastimes in the world.