What??? Brakes neede on trailers over 1000 lbs???

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I have run into this statement in various car/truck owners manuals (in the US): "Brakes required on trailers weighing 1000 lbs".

"What?" you say to yourself "I know my truck can tow my 2000 lbs of boat and trailer with not problem. So why does my truck owners manual say I need brakes on a trailer weighing over 1000lbs? "

The answer is simple. There are a few States that specify that brakes are needed on trailers weighing over 1000lbs or have a GTW (Gross Trailer Weight) of 3000 lbs. The confusion comes about when people assume that "trailers weighing over 1000 lbs" means a trailer with a GTW over 1000 lbs. But it doesn't mean that at all. What it means is trailers that have a weight of over 1000 lbs UNLOADED require brakes. The 1000 number is not a GTW number, it is the actual physical weight of the unloaded trailer.

So just check you state's laws, most don't require brakes on trailers until the GTW us over 3000 lbs. Note that most states still refer to the trailers capacity as GVW and not GTW.

So folks like me towing a small boat like my MFG Niagara, don't need brakes in the vast majority of states.

Reference:

http://www.wecamp2.com/equipment.html

" Required on trailers over 1000 lbs unladen or 3000 lbs laden " http://www.freetrip.com/rules_fr1.html

Last edited:

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What??? Brakes neede on trailers over 1000 lbs???

Be a bit careful with your explanation on this. In my state if there is no weight indication on the trailer, they go by the tires and if you have two tires rated at 1500 lbs, our state says that trailer is rated at being able to handle 3000 lbs and you must have brakes on each axle. Also the problem is not pulling the load, it's stopping it. Going down the highway at the speed you travel, will you stop in a panic stop. I'll take a trailer with brakes any day. Been there, @#$%^&&&*in front, in next lane over, decided he has to get in front of you and as you slam on the brakes, the question is, do I need to change my underwear?

MikDee

Banned

Well, Thanks for the info Mark. My Tucson owners manual says the same thing, trailer brakes are needed above 1,000lbs, but It can tow 3000lbs, and my total load is only 2500lbs.

edzzed

Seaman Apprentice

i had a 1900 lb boat and drive a dually truck. when i have the camper on and towing the boat i sure as crap wish i had brakes on the trailer. i can tell you one day we were travelling at 60 mph and wife decides she wants to stop at a gas station coming up. gives me 300 ft. of notice. well i tried to stop and no way, the weight of everything kept me going way past the turnoff. i said i don't need any notice when you wanna stop but please inform the truck and trailer first. Ed

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Believe what your manual says.

The vehicle may be able to tow more than 1K# BUT your vehicle manufacturer determined that anything over 1K# needs assistance with trailer brakes.

Don't find out the hard way.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Believe what your manual says.

The vehicle may be able to tow more than 1K# BUT your vehicle manufacturer determined that anything over 1K# needs assistance with trailer brakes.

Don't find out the hard way.

I do believe you missed the entire point of the post. It does not say that trailers with GVW over 1000 lbs needs brakes, it says (like the Tacoma and many other manuals say) trailers that weigh over 1000 lbs need brakes. And those are two totally different ratings.

On a Toyota forum I brought this up, and I was told that Toyota puts that in EVERY owners manual regardless of the towing capcity of the vehicle, even up to 6500gvw. That way, they meet the requirements of every state.

reelfishin

Captain

NJ DMV puts it this way:
"If the GVWR (including load) is more than 3,000 lbs. or 40% of the towing vehicle's gross weight, the trailer must be equipped with brakes"

(re: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/PrivateUtilities.htm )

Myself, I've never bothered with brakes on any of my boats, being that I launch part of the time in salt water, the hassle of replacing everything every other year just isn't worth the headache. The farthest I tow any of my boats is about 60 miles, and thats on a rare occasion, usually I only run about 12 miles or so.

If I was towing over the road or at highway speeds, then I'd be more concerned with having brakes. All but one of my trailers are all under the 3000lb mark, so they don't require brakes anyway, but my 7000lb capacity tandem axle trailer doesn't have brakes, and I don't believe it ever did.
I also can't ever recall anyone ever checking a trailer for brakes or anything else for that matter. The most I've ever been asked during a traffic stop was whether or not the trailer was mine. I've been stopped before, with all sorts of trailers in all sorts of weight ranges, and have never been told that I needed brakes. I would think that so long as you are not creating a traffic hazard or looking so overloaded that its obvious that its not safe, your most likely not going to be hassled. I would make sure all the lights are working or at least make it appear that you've made an attempt to be safe or legal.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Mark,

I did not miss the point. The point is that you want verification from someone that your trailer does not need brakes. Toyota isn't going to give it to you. It's called CYA. I believe the manual before I believe a forum.

Trailers are not rated, licensed or taxed by their "Tare" or empty weight. They are regulated by their capacity or GTW. (gross trailer weight). If your trailer is rated for 2K#, that's the weight used for licensing, etc. We all know the real weight when we get it weighed. If it weighs more than 1K# loaded, you need brakes, according to Toyota and the DMV.

In the real world, do you need them? Probably not, between 1K# and 2K#. Anything over that and you're pushing it.

If you wreck this rig, you are going to lose in your word battle with a traffic cop and a plaintiff attorney.

imported reelfishin,

7K# without brakes. Are you kidding? No, you will not be stopped and asked. BUT if you pile into someone, you will not only be asked you will be required to PAY and PAY and PAY.

Not a risk I would take. Your insurance company will drop you like a bad habit.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Mark,

... The point is that you want verification from someone that your trailer does not need brakes. Toyota isn't going to give it to you. It's called CYA. I believe the manual before I believe a forum.

From your response, you have missed the whole point. I do not want verification that the trailer does not need brakes.

If it weighs more than 1K# loaded, you need brakes, according to Toyota and the DMV.

That statement is blatently untrue. The DMV clearly states UNLADEN trailers over 1000lbs. Not 1000GVW.

If what you say is true, then explain this:

Why does the owners manual differentiate between a "trailer weighing over 1000lbs" and a trailer with "3000 GVW".

Wouldn't the statement "trailer weighing over 1000lbs" supersede the statement "3000 GVW" in your mind? So why do they specify two different ratings?

And FYI, my insurance company knows my trailers have no brakes, because they ask when I insure them. They really don't care because they know the rules as you state them do not apply.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

From your response, you have missed the whole point. I do not want verification that the trailer does not need brakes.

That statement is blatently untrue. The DMV clearly states UNLADEN trailers over 1000lbs. Not 1000GVW.

If what you say is true, then explain this:

Why does the owners manual differentiate between a "trailer weighing over 1000lbs" and a trailer with "3000 GVW".

Wouldn't the statement "trailer weighing over 1000lbs" supersede the statement "3000 GVW" in your mind? So why do they specify two different ratings?

And FYI, my insurance company knows my trailers have no brakes, because they ask when I insure them. They really don't care because they know the rules as you state them do not apply.

I cannot explain why Toyota calls out trailer weights differently. I can't think of anyone else that does that. My manual says trailer weight of:_____, not to exceed a total vehicle GCWR of_____.(Period). Makes a lot more sense. It also states to check local state laws regarding the need for trailer brakes.

Happy Towing!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I cannot explain why Toyota calls out trailer weights differently. I can't think of anyone else that does that.

Actually, a lot of states do this too. Thats why I started this whole thread. The whole point is that "trailer weighing x lbs" and "GVW" are two different animals. Owners manuals are written that way to accomodate the laws in all states. Blanket statements that are not clear.

Anyway, I think we beat this horse long enough :)

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

It would appear that Toyota is stupid.

Toyota says it is okay to pull a trailer weighing less than 999lbs empty or less than 2999lbs GTW without trailer brakes.

Toyota wants brakes on the trailer if it weighs more than 1000lbs but then says you can run without trailer brakes if your GTW is less than 3000lbs.

Is the Toyota capable of knowing that the towed load between 1000lbs and 3000lbs is an empty or loaded trailer?

Makes total sense....................not.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

It would appear that Toyota is stupid.

Toyota says it is okay to pull a trailer weighing less than 999lbs empty or less than 2999lbs GTW without trailer brakes.

Toyota wants brakes on the trailer if it weighs more than 1000lbs but then says you can run without trailer brakes if your GTW is less than 3000lbs.

Is the Toyota capable of knowing that the towed load between 1000lbs and 3000lbs is an empty or loaded trailer?

Makes total sense....................not.

Its not a Toyota thing. Ford and GM have basically the same verbage in their manuals. I check my Mountianeer. Yep, says the same.

MikDee

Banned

My 2005 Hyundai Tucson manual says the same thing Mark, it almost sounds "word for word" what you described.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

But it still don't make sense when you have that grey area of when trailer brakes are required when the towed weight is less than 3000lbs, right?

Seems like they would want to say any towed weight over 1000lbs empty or loaded requires trailer brakes.

reelfishin

Captain

Regardless of what the owners manual says, try finding a 1000lb trailer that's built with brakes. Shore Lander don't put brakes on trailers with less than 3100lb capacity, ( http://www.shorelandr.com/asp/t_boat_3100.asp )
Load Rite builds a trailer rated at 3600lbs with no brakes, ( http://www.loadrite.com/Boat_Trailers/Roller/Single_Axle_Roller/84/ )

What you see in the owners manual is just an attempt at a bit of legal claim prevention and a bit of warranty cost prevention. I wouldn't even consider needing brakes on a trailer till the weight got past say 2500lbs or so, and at that I wouldn't be too concerned unless I was running at highway speeds. Many of us only travel short distances to the ramp where we launch and if your towing your boat with proper hitch and capable tow vehicle, the lack of brakes probably won't even be noticed. If I was ever so inclined to go buy a new trailer, I would opt for one without brakes, it wouldn't make sense for me to spend the extra cash to drive such a short distance only a few times a year. My drive to the ramp probably never exceeds 40 mph, if even that. If I don't think I can safely tow a particular trailer, I find a bigger truck to use.
As far as 7K with no brakes, that trailer is used twice a year, and I would venture to guess that more than half of all the trailers I see either don't have brakes, no longer have functioning brakes, are being towed by vehicles which don't have a brake controller. Most that I see don't even have working lights. I can't recall ever hearing about any major accidents due to lack of brakes around here, maybe a few boats dumped from inexperience at the ramp or a few unsecured on the trailer, but I don't recall any that ran over a car due to lack of brakes. Most of us who trailer our boats know our rigs and drive accordingly. If I was in my car, I wouldn't pull in front of a guy towing a large boat, brakes or no brakes. There's also not many cars on the road at the hour that I usually am taking my boat to the ramp. If there are, they're most likely just closing the local bar.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't have brakes, but that it's totally possible to drive safely without them.
What you read in the manual is the manufacturer trying to protect themselves from a lawsuit or undue warranty repairs.
I would venture to guess that nearly all makes offer about the same recommendations as to towing. The manual for my Ranger states that the maximum trailer weight is 1100lbs with the 4 cylinder 5 speed. I have towed with this truck for over 100,000 miles with no problems or damage to the truck and I have done so with my previous two trucks as well.
The newest Ranger 4 cylinder doesn't even offer a factory hitch option at all, they require that you opt for the V6. At 100 hp it has no problem pulling what I need to pull, or stopping it for that matter. I can't count how many free boats I've towed home which had trailers in such bad shape that my concern wasn't stopping but leaving parts along the road. Having working brakes were far from top of my list of concerns.

The way I see it, a truck is of no use to me if it won't tow a trailer, if I didn't need to tow a trailer, I'd buy a car or minivan. Now I wouldn't say to go out an try and pull a 10,000 lb trailer with a minivan but taking into account the weight of the tow vehicle, a proper hitch and some driving experience, most trucks can handle far more than their rating on occasions. If I was looking at towing 7000 lbs every day, then I'd be driving a much heavier truck, but for once or twice a year and only for a short run, a smaller truck is just fine.

If you follow NJ's standard of needing brakes when the towed trailer reaches 40% of the tow vehicles weight, then that would mean that you need brakes at 1400lbs with a 3500 lb truck, this would mean that most aluminum bass boats with those 12" tire trailers would need brakes. As far as I know, no one even builds such a trailer. My Ranger weighs about 3900 lbs, my aluminum boat and trailer weighs in at about 1600 lbs on the trailer with a full tank, the motor, and gear. That rig tows nearly effortlessly behind my truck it's easy to forget it's even back there. I see no appreciable difference in stopping with or without that trailer. While I am sure it takes more pedal pressure to stop, I have never felt it was unsafe or uncontrollable. I used to tow that rig with my old car as well, with no problems. By state regs, that need brakes. Just picture an aluminum bass rig on a trailer heavy enough to come with brakes, sort of like using a rollback to haul a go cart.