'69 Johnson 115ESL69

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hopefully this is a silly question.... Does this motor lock into position for raising, lowering and trailering? I know it locks in the "up" position, but I cannot figure out how to lock it from turning port and starboard. The steering cable holds it somewhat, but not enough. I found part #383618 which is described as "shaft and lever assembly" but it doesn't seem to do anything. There is a spring attached to it called "spring, reverse lock". Finally got this old beast running, now I'm trying to fine tune and learn all I can about it.

Thanks,

Tom Smith

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: '69 Johnson 115ESL69

The lock system is to lock the engine in either the tilted up or down position, BUT there is no lock to keep the engine from turning.

You would need to come up with something to prevent the moving sideways action.

The spring reverse lock action is to prevent the engine from tilting up and out of the water when it has been shifted into reverse and throttle applied.

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '69 Johnson 115ESL69

WOW ! That was quick Joe! Thanks. Is there any modification I can make that would keep it from turning? I mean, I know I can stabilize it with bungees, but what would you suggest?

Thanks,

Tom Smith