Motor to stiff to turn

willnormac

Cadet
Hi anyone ever expierenced this problem, put on new steering and motor is stiff to turn, is the swivel bracket or what ,have lubricated this more than an enire fleet would need thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motor to stiff to turn

You're not going to like what I tell you.

It sounds like you are saying that the steering cable works freely but it is the engine itself that is difficult to turn. If that's the case:

If it is a Chrysler or Force earlier than say 1991, These engines have a kingpin swivel which rides in two plastic sleeves inside the aluminum swivel bracket. If a bit of corrosion starts inside the bracket--since aluminum corrosion is about ten times the volume of mass aluminum--It squeezes the plastic sleeves tight onto the kingpin. No amount of grease is going to make the engine turn easily.

The only cure is to remove the engine mount and swivel from the engine, drive out the kingpin and clean out everything. You may also need to ream out the plastic sleeves to the kingpin size. I forget--I think it is 1 1/8 inch. A sharp wood spade bit will do this quite nicely as long as you are careful. Kingpin also tends to rust and this will need to be cleaned too. Reassemble everything with grease then pump some into the zerk fitting on the swivel bracket.

Since the kingpin is tight, when you remove the lower cover (4 screws) and the motor mount (another 4 screws) You will still have to fuss and fight (and curse and swear) to get the kingpin out of the upper mounting. It's not an easy job. You can try to hammer it out from just behind the air inlet on the lower pan (assuming it is a Force before Merc converted to their mid-leg)

willnormac

Cadet

Break out the bud and take off a week but thanks again I thought so but just hoping for an easy fix, as they say oh well

willnormac

Cadet

one other thing what do you recommend for these rusted bolts other than cutting

bigmarc66

Seaman

heat with a blow tourch, and some kind of penetrating oil. PB Blaster with the help of heat has worked great for me in the past. If need be get a wrench on it and give it a whack with a hammer, it will give it a surge of force and usually break it free.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also remember leverage is your friend. If it gets really difficult to wrench them free go get yourself a piece of hollow iron pipe or something comparable and give yourself an extra foot or two on your wrench handle. You would be surprised how much it helps.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Got a little ahead of myself there---You do not need to remove the motor mount. Just the four screws that hold the lower kingpin cover on. That's the plate about 4 X 6 inches. This cover bolts through the shroud and into the motor mount. It is what holds the kingpin in place. I would not recommend removing the shroud because it bolts to the upper motor mounts--Two bolts underneath, usually rusted 9/16 heads (3/8 bolt) but I have seen 3/4 heads (1/2 bolt), and six 7/16 head (1/4 bolts) inside lower cover. If you do this, the engine and leg have no attachment points and it must be well supported to keep it from shifting and damaging linkages, wires, and carbs

Those four screws are usually corroded but a little PB Blaster behind them helps. And after breaking free, they usually come out tight but without too much fuss. Better to use a 1/2 inch drive for more leverage and a 6 point 1/2 inch socket though. (The front plate of the motor mount--you will be able to reach up there and spray it with the red tube that usually comes with these cans of penetrant.)

This will be the easiest part though. Like I said, getting the kingpin out will make you say your "prayers". You will also talk about having sex and children born out of wedlock--only you will use a lot less words with a lot more emphasis.