1984 85 HP runaway engine

Reboot11133

Seaman
I am new to boating and recently bought a 1984 Bayliner with a 85 Hp Force OB. The motor is very difficult to start. When I get it going by manually applying the automatic choke (cover off) it revs up like it is set to self destruct. I shut it off immediately to prevent damage. The linkage just seems to have 2 cables one for the transmission and the other for throttle control. There doesn't seem to be any way of operating one independent of the other. There is no seperate throttle. I read postings of people revving the engine in neutral but to do that I would have to take the cover off the engine. Am I missing something? All linkages are fine and appear to be working properly. Is ther something I should be looking for that would cause this engine to flood or rev way to high on starting?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 85 HP runaway engine

I suppose the person from whom you bought the boat did not bother to give you rudimentary instructions. --Just as an aside, when I sell an engine, I include about two typewritten pages of instructions AND go over starting procedure with the buyer.--

To start the engine for the first time a simple but important procedure must be followed:
1. pump the primer bulb in the fuel line until it is firm, indicating that the carbs are filled
2. Depending on your control, either push in the center rubber button and advance the throttle lever as far as it will go --or--pull out the control handle about 1/4 inch and advance it as far as it will go. This puts the engine in fast idle position in neutral and will allow it to rev up to about 1500 rpm for warm up. Sounds fast but really isn't. The engine is normally run between 5000 and 5500 rpm at full throttle.
3. Turn the key to start position while pushing it in to choke. Release when the engine starts.
4. Let the engine warm up for a few seconds or so --differs with each engine, you will learn what your's needs-- Pull the control handle back to straight up neutral position. If it has a center button, it will automatically reset; if it was pulled out to advance, you must push it back in. If the engine stalls, it was not warm enough--restart but try without choking it first so you don't flood it.
5. Push the control handle quickly about 1/4 of its travel to put the engine in gear. You will hear it "clunk" this is normal. Do not try to "ease" it; You will hear it "rattling" --this is harmfull to the lower unit dog clutch. Further forward travel on the control accelerates the engine. Forward is forward and backward is reverse.
Depending on the state of your engine, when starting warm, you may be able to just turn the key; you may not need to put it into fast idle and you may not need to choke it. You definitely will not need to pump the primer bulb. That is only necessary if the boat has been sitting for days and the carbs and fuel line went empty.

Reboot11133

Seaman

Thanks for your suggestions but all I have to work with are a key switch and the lever that switches from forward to reverse with no seperate throttle or choke. The lever must be straight up for the engine to be in neutral or it won't turn over.

bjhc100

Seaman Apprentice

Frank gave you good information, reread his post and carefully step by step. Print it and take it with you when you go to start the engine. As Frank said but in different words having essentially the same meaning. Most important there are two things: First, your engine has "a single lever control" to both shift in and out of gear and also to control engine speed. It work in conjunction with an electro/mechanical interlock which prevents starting the engine when it is "in gear". Second, on my engine, at the pivot point of the control lever there is a button to disengage the interlock, once pushed or pulled out, it allows independent, but limited throttle position control, without having the engine go into gear when advancing the throttle into the starting position. Yours may be similar. You want the throttle to open a little or it won't ever start when cold. Make sure the choke works ok. Hope this helps. Harley

Reboot11133

Seaman

Thanks for helping. The control lever does not seem to have the option to disconnect or separate the throttle from the transmission. We had quite a storm here today so I will investigate when the wind dies down. I hope you are both right and I am missing the boat :). I will let you know how I make out.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Some motors have a button to pull out others the whole lever pulls out.

Reboot11133

Seaman

Like he said the first time "pull out the control handle about 1/4 inch and advance it as far as it will go". Thats it!!!:D

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe it would benefit you to swing it by a boat repair facility so they can help you because I think you may be confused still on the starting procedure for your boat and they can help walk you through it first hand.