1999 250 EFI bogs down

hans jensen

Cadet
I have a 1999 250 EFI that bogs down at about 3000- 3500 rpm. Here is a short history.
About 2 months ago my fuel tank sending unit got stuck and I ran out of gas (gauge reads ? full). The engine was running great before I ran it out of gas. It took me about 2 weeks before I got the new sending unit installed and got her running again using the engine flush inlet, in other words it was just running at idle (1000rpm). I was not able to get her on the water for a full throttle until yesterday until yesterday. I put her it at the ramp and she fires right up. After about 3-4 minutes at idle I ease away from the dock in gear at about 1500 rpm and everything sounds good. I go to give it some gas and she starts to pull out of the hole but just before it gets on plane (3000- 3500 rpm) the engine bogs down and the rpm?s will go no higher. It does not stall and when I ease off the throttle and drop the engine back down to about 2000 rpm she runs fine. When I put the new sending unit in I replaced the fuel water separators (I have one mounted on the boat and another mounted on the engine, it was like that when I bought it). I also drained the 80 gallon fuel tank completely and found that there was a small amount of water (8 ounces).
What do you guys think?
Thanks Hans

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 250 EFI bogs down

rebuild the lift pump and remove the VST and clean the VST filter.
you may also have a clogged fuel draw tube, running with a vacum guage t'eed in the line will find it, you should have 1-3" HG and no more than 6"Hg at WOT.

hans jensen

Cadet
Re: 1999 250 EFI bogs down

Rodbolt,
Thanks for the reply! What is the lift pump. Is it the VST internal fuel pump? Could there be air in the VST from when it ran out of fuel or an air leak in the fuel inlet hose?