Outboard wont start

skyfish

Cadet
Hi, I'm new to outboard repairs, recently bought 1975 evinrude 50 hp on haines hunter 1/2 cab. Engine was working fine but I replaced impeller and subsequently engine now wont start, starter spins and engages flywheel but wont kick over. Is it possible that wrong impeller direction could prevent engine from starting, any help would be appreciated:confused:

1730V

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Outboard wont start

I doubt your impeller replacement did anything. However, check for a fuse near the cylinder head/solenoid area. It is in a container that looks like a regular wire connector. It is a short buss (glass) fuse. You can substitute a long one for testing.

skyfish

Cadet

I remember looking at the small fuse and thinking that it looked ok, but I will take your advice and try with replacement fuse, will let you know, thanks CPO

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Drop the lower unit back down and retry the starter.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have had that 20 amp fuse blow a few times on me while changing an impeller, wish I knew why. However, it would never turn over while the fuse was blown, which yours is doing. Did you disconnect your battery while servicing lu? Have you checked voltage across battery, should be 12.65 volts.

skyfish

Cadet

Hi Seaman, I will give that a go as well, will try anything at the moment, thanks

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

I have had that 20 amp fuse blow a few times on me while changing an impeller, wish I knew why. However, it would never turn over while the fuse was blown, which yours is doing. Did you disconnect your battery while servicing lu? Have you checked voltage across battery, should be 12.65 volts.

I assumed "kick over" meant nothing.

ALWAYS disconnect the battery when working on the engine. If that fuse pops it usually pops the rectifier too. Not always but usually.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I think JB outlines it best, as described in the FAQ post.

Outboard Wont Start:

1. Electric start:
Does the starter engage and rotate the flywheel at a good (normal) speed?
If yes, go to 2.

Does starter spin, but bendix gear (small gear on starter shaft) does not engage the flywheel?
Lubricate bendix spiral shaft.

Does the solenoid click?
If yes, measure voltage at the starter terminal to battery ground with starter engaged.
If 12 V, repair or replace starter.
If less than 9V measure voltage at large solenoid input terminal (from battery).
If less than 9V, go to 3.
If 12V, replace solenoid.

Solenoid does not click when key is turned to start. Measure voltage at small solenoid terminal.
0 volts? Troubleshoot kill switch (lanyard connected?), battery, starter switch and neutral start switch in controller.
12 volts? Replace solenoid.

2. Electric and manual start: Flywheel rotates but engine does not attempt to start. .
Remove a spark plug, reconnect it and hold it against engine block. Keep it there while turning engine over.

Does it make a hot, blue spark when attempting to start?
If no, troubleshoot ignition system.

Has hot, blue spark?
Squirt some fuel mix (NOT ether) into the carb(s). Does it attempt to start? *
If yes, you have inadequate fuel. Troubleshoot fuel system and review starting procedure.

If no, check that carb is not flooding from failed float needle.

Still wont attempt to start. Check compression. If bad, troubleshoot mechanicals.

Good compression on all cylinders. Check flywheel for sheared key, check crankcase for sealing at carb(s), inlet manifold and bypass covers.

3. Low voltage at starter when engaged.
Measure voltage at battery terminals.
If below 12.6 volts with all electrics turned off, recharge or replace battery.

Measure battery voltage with starter engaged.
If below 9 volts, recharge or replace battery.
Remove and clean connections on battery-to-solenoid cable, battery-to-engine block cable and solenoid-to-starter cable. While they are off, inspect each for corrosion, broken insulation with corrosion and weak points.
Replace corroded or weak cables.

If problem persists, remove starter and clean all surfaces where engine block and starter connect.

skyfish

Cadet

Now I'm feeling a little bare, no, I did not disconnect the battery terms when dropping lu, I just pulled off the plug ends, could this have caused fuse to blow, thanks HighTrim

skyfish

Cadet

plenty there for me to have a look at, I will start with the fuse and if no good then do some voltage checks and go from there, when I have sourced the prob I will post the answer, many thanks from Oz;)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Let's take a more simplistic approach to this issue. A fuse is not the problem because the engine turns over but it won't run. Next, make sure you didn't inadvertently pull the kill switch lanyard (if it has one). Next, make sure you have the plug wires on the proper cylinder and that they are properly connected. Next, check for spark. The engine needs air, fuel, and spark. If any of the three are missing it will not run. Spark needs to be a good solid, blue zap and should jump a 7/16 inch gap. If spark is good, pull the plugs and inspect. If bone dry it's not getting fuel (out perhaps???). If wet and fouled, the engine is flooded and/or there is no spark. Lastly, a battery that is not fully charged may not spin the engine fast enough. Unless you inadvertently popped off some wires when the shift shaft went back into the engine, nothing you did during the impeller change would affect starting.

skyfish

Cadet

Thanks Silvertip. The battery is brand new. I dont have a kill switch. I'm certain the plug wires are attached correctly. I have removed them and they are dry apart from a light oil residue on the thread. I have not checked for spark but as soon as the wife is free I will get her to turn engine over for me while I check.
However, I did unclip fuel hose at motor end to find fuel was not getting through at all, the nozzle was fowled up with black gunk, I cleaned out throughly and made sure fuel was flowing freely again and re-attached, but pull me hair out - no change.
Incidently, before I fixed the impeller I had taken off and replaced the carb housing to give me some space but inexperience makes me wonder if I have put all back together correctly. All said and done I dont have a clue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Engine was working fine but I replaced impeller and subsequently engine now wont start, starter spins and engages flywheel but wont kick over.
Skyfish, I suspect we may be getting off track a bit. When you stated the above in your original posting did you mean that the starter "tries" to turn the flywheel but just can't make it rotate? If so, then JCF350 may be correct in his suggestion to drop the LU and try starting. However, you might be able to prove or disprove a LU problem by just seeing if you can turn the fly wheel manually or try cranking it with the plugs out (ground the plug wires). If it turns then, I'd proceed with chasing cable/solenoid/starter problems. If not, better drop the LU and see what's going on.

skyfish

Cadet

Thanks Molaker, starter motor spins flywheel no problem, just wont start. Could this be a solenoid issue ? I dont hear any noise when the key is turned to the start position. As I said I am new to outboard repairs, so the logic is not to flash.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

There's the second issue here. You removed and replaced the carb at the same time as doing the impeller work? Usually you always want to do one thing at a time for this exact reason so that if there's a problem you know where to look. It's unlikely changing the impeller stopped the engines from running, but playing with the carb sure could. Are you sure it's back on exactly as it was? A quick test is to make up a spray bottle of pre mix (50:1 oil/gas) and spray it in the carb and then turn it over. If it sputters at all or catches briefly then your issues are carb related and as it's not getting fuel the way it should be.

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Molaker, starter motor spins flywheel no problem, just wont start. Could this be a solenoid issue ? I dont hear any noise when the key is turned to the start position.
If the starter is engaging and turning the flywheel, it's definitely NOT the solenoid as it is the solenoid that applies power to the starter. And, if the flywheel is turning, then the lower unit itself is not the problem unless you damaged a wiring connection or something in the process when disconnecting/reconnecting the shift mechanism or if you reassembled the carbs incorrectly. Sounds like you'd better follow procedure #2 in HighTrim's posting for "Outboard won't start".

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

skyfish, these guys are all correct - the fuses and solenoid are all there to make the starter spin, if it spins, they're ok. check to see if you have spark before doing anything else. remove one spark plug, reattach it to the boot, hold it against the engine block and look for a spark while someone turns the engine over with the key. use an insulated or plastic tool to avoid a good dose of electro-shock therapy. then do the same with the other spark plug. report your results.

new battery doesn't mean its a good battery or that its fully charged. bought a new battery off the shelf last week, got it home, it measured 25% discharged - took several hours at 10 amps to recharge.

if you had black gunk in your fuel line, you ought to think about draining that old bad gas out of the tank and replacing it with fresh.

skyfish

Cadet

Thanks Molaker, jtexas. Pulled the plugs today, tried both against the block as best I could, leads are not that long, but absolutely no spark ! I rubbed a bit of the block with wet and dry to show metal, and held the tip of the plug against it, again with motor turning over, but still no hint of any spark. Assuming I did it correctly and I think I did, what should I do next -troubleshooting the ignition system sounds very high tech, or is there something else I should try first? many thanks for help so far.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

first buy a spark tester then you have no doubts if still no spark check all wireing you could have unpluged somthing if stll nothing buy a manual and start testing