Is dealer really right...or playing me?

lovlakes

Cadet
Looking at a deckboat for large freshwater lake cruising (stopping at sand bars, off boat swimming, etc). We think we want a 22 foot boat that includes a fresh water shower for knocking off sand as well as convenience of hand washing.

One dealer (that has only the 20 foot boat which can not have a fresh water stern shower option) vows that most of the owners never use their water system because it is too much bother and is expensive because it has to be chlorinated and then winterized.

Do they have to be chlorinated and are they really not worth the bother for all day cruising??

He stated the water supply is never drinkable and should not be in contact with skin?? We weren't planning on drinking it, but the no skin contact??

Is it only worth while for salt water cruising??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is dealer really right...or playing me?

Drinking -- NO! Thats what adult beverages, soda and bottled water are for. Besides, who wants to drink 80 or 90 degree water from a chlorinated tank. Fresh water washdown can use a any sort of pump and a sprayer nozzle for a standard home shower head. Add it yourself. No expensive on board water system needed. For salt water use I can see having a fresh water system not only for boat wash down but people wash down as well.

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are 2 wash down systems on boats---#1 is just a pump that pulls lakewater up to a rear hose that works very well for washing sand off your feet, cleaning the deck ect.-it's very simple and does not require a storage tank---#2 is a tank with 20 or 30 gallons of water and in a boat like you are looking at it's prob not possible to install a tank---I think your Dealer is a little goofy about chlorinated and no skin contact--I have a 40 gallon tank on my boat and we don't drink it but we do wash dishes,brush teeth ect,--I change it often and add a couple of tablespoons of baking soda to keep it fresh---works great--for a rear transom wash--I'd install a washdown kit that most boat stores carry--I'm sure iboats has one ---good luck Steve

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most boat dealers know plenty of reasons why you don't want what he hasn't got.

Take those reasons with a grain of salt.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have a chris craft 230 deckboat, the water tank has never been filled. extra weight to haul around.

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In my bow rider (28' family style) I do not use the water tank, wash down, or sink. My friend (23' fish style bow rider) uses his all the time. Both salt water/brackish water use. His boat gets spray, not much, but spray over the boat from the chop. His favorite use of his fresh water system is to wet and wash his sun glasses off from dried salt spray. And he has young kids, I do not, and they always need a hand wash or two per outing.

I agree that such systems can be added. Many boaters are not handy or choose not to be, so if you want the dealer to add it for you, price that into the deal, and then see how the price of one rig compares to another rig.

Also, consider how open/choppy/boat-wake-filled the waters are that you intend to cruise on. If they get a stiff aftenoon chop, take a ride before you buy. Some of the boats that you might be looking at might ride different in that chop than another.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

Bigger is better when boating in large lakes. My bigger concern would be the ride difference between the longer and shorter boat.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Just because some customers don't use theirs, looks like you want one so you'll use it and for good reason. Agree on forget the chlorination....use the water the boat's in unless it's salty and even then it's better than the sand all over you; course you can go for a swim and get that off.

Sounds like an excuse from the have not dealer.

My 2c,

Mark

mattttt25

Commander

Most deckboats and runarounds don't have a raw water system, but most fish boats do. My Grady has one and I use it often to wash down the deck. Good for fish guts, chum, etc.

But your question is about a freshwater system. My Grady has one as well and I also use it often. I have a sink in the cabin, a spigot in the cockpit, and the transom shower. I use the transom shower as you would- washing off after a swim. It works as intended, cleaning off the sand, saltwater, etc.

As for maintenance... I spend probably 20 minutes a year on the system. In the winter, I pour 2 gal of antifreeze in the tank. Turn on the two pumps, run the three sources until I see pink, and I'm done. Can't get any easier. In the spring, I run the 3 sources again until nothing comes out. I then throw the hose in the tank and keep it running, while I open up the 3 sources. I let that run for a bit until everything is clear. Finally, I fill up the tank and throw a few sanitizer tablets in (get them at any boating store). Again, very easy. I wouldn't drink the water, but it never has a smell and is always clear and cold.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I don't know why people don't like to drink the water from a fresh water system in a boat. Its basically the same as the fresh water systems in campers and motorhomes, and people drink from them all the time. My Dad's camper had a water system, just a tank and a small air compressor. We would drain it after each trip, and put in some pink antifreeze for the winter. Same as mattttt25 does, except we would drink the water. Dad may have done a clorine rinse once a year, but I'm not aware of it.

I would love to have a fresh water system and a small sink on my boat! With kids it would be so much easier than using wipes and bottled water.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Water weighs about 8.5 lbs. per gallon. 40 gal. tank equals 340 lbs. Lots of weight to carry around affecting gas usage and performance. Carry BEER instead, maby a lite beer for the kids. Hey, there never to young to start. FRED

dmcb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I liveaboard a 38 foot boat for the season, all at anchor.
We boat in clean fresh water and I have two water systems.
The tank water is used for drinking and cooking only.
The rest of our usage comes from the lake.
Gonna be hard for you to tell me you shouldn't drink tank water. Been doing it for about 47 years and never had a problem.
Also drink if from my rv tank also.
I am careful of what I put in the tank. I hate clorine and avoid it if possible.
I also have a filter at the sink to filter drinking water.
I simply don't understand all the talk about not drinking from a tank.
You can't carry 3 months supply of beer anyway.
Doug