winterizing scam in BC.

edzzed

Seaman Apprentice
read this posting on "http://www.fishbc.com/" maybe it is going on elsewhere. Ed

Just a heads up for any of you about to have marine mechanical work done...or....those maybe planning to store their boats this year in the Kelowna / Winfield areas.

Some time ago I had my 17 ft boat stored at a local marina, I'd always had any regular maintenance performed there by one of their mechanics ie winterization etc. Much to my irritation come spring when I had the boat prepped for summer fishing they would always seem to find some sort of expensive problem with my engine...one year it was a shot regulator another year a carb problem, then even though everything was running fine before storage it was now an expensive leg/gear problem.

Yeah, Yeah, Ive owned boats for four decades now I certainly know they can be bottomless money pits.... however, this was happening with such monotonous regularity that I found it hard to believe it was just coincidence

Then one spring day while passing I decided to pop in and check the boat, I arrived unexpectedly to find my engine in a state of undress and a small tray of bolt nuts and wrenches laying nearby. It became quite obvious to me that my 80hp merc was being quietly divested of some of its parts and I suspected they were being used on another engine repair then no doubt with my engine sporting the defective part Id have been told of yet another problem come start up time

To cut a long story short, after an acrimonious conversation with the marina management the light fingered mechanic was let go, and time passed, as it all became water under the bridge

Now some years later I just spoke to another older guy who related a story about visiting another local marina in late fall to check on his boat only to find it missing...he searched the storage racks and all the moorage slips...his boat was nowhere to be found.....about the time he was getting ready to call the cops his boat came in from the lake with four people sitting in it. Upon questioning them he learned that they believed it to be a rental and they had innocently rented it for half a day from a mechanic working at the marina.

Anyone like take a guess as to who the guy was?

In order that none of you Fish BCrs get taken to the cleaners by this blaggard......I am prepared divulge in private email (robster@shaw.ca) the name of this toad and where he's presently pulling wrenches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: winterizing scam in BC.

That mechanic has a lot of guts pulling that BS. Another case of Man's inhumanity to man.

Bigprairie1

Commander

.....this guy sounds like a bit of a problem. I'd really like to hunting with him sometime.
I may send you a pm to find out more about this lowball.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

.. no telling how many times he got away with that type of scam. sounds like a years free gas and rent to that poor boater is in order.

ziggy

Admiral

man, if ya want yer boat service proper. read yer service manual and read iboats and ask questions if ya got them. do it yerself......trust no one.......