30hp Mercury 2-stroke

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class
A couple weeks ago I saw a boat with a 30 Merc tiller on it. It was huge compared to my 25. The guy said it's a 2-stroke. A few days later I saw a similar 30 Mariner. What's up with these motors? Why are they so big? Are they good motors? Anyway, they look cool and I want one because my boat is rated for a 30 and my trusty 25 is getting old and may only last a few more years.

Merc25XD

Seaman
Re: 30hp Mercury 2-stroke

They say that "size doesn't matter".....lol. I recently bought 85 Merc 25 hp XD. My 14' Lund previously had my 64 6hp Merc on the back end. You talk about size...WOW. Now, instead of just puttering around the lake from one fishing spot to another....I FLY.....Of course I use a tad more fuel.

They are beasts.... Mine has plenty of work room and I love it. It's a sweet power-plant and I'm proud to have one on my Whaler. Buy it.

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class

Merc25XD.....I bet it was quite a difference! I upgraded to a 25 from a 9.8 on a 14' Polarkraft jon boat. Couldn't even open it up...boat got too squirrley. Then I put a 15 pitch MW Ballistic SST on it...boat got even more squirrley and started developing leaks. Then it fell apart. I finally bit the bullet and bought a boat that's actually rated for a 25, a 14' Starcraft V-bottom. It's staying together real good.

CarolinaWhaler....does the 30 have the "twist-grip" throttle/shifter combo like the 25 does? I love that feature.

Last edited:

Merc25XD

Seaman

This is my rig....I love it. I am currently working on a jack plate as a late fall project for increased vertical lift for my motor. will post more when finished.
I hope this pic works.

boatwmtr002.jpg

KiGuy52, my rig is a side console. You can get an idea of what it looks like in my pic. Its got electric start, power trim and tilt, etc. It's a sweet set up. My next move is to get a new tank. I've got two old 12 gals. and they really make the boat look old. I want to get a new 15 gal., something that'll fit nice under the rear bench.

Anyway, that 30HP Mercury just looks so big. It's been a great motor, great motor.... Knock on wood.

huntingmac1

Recruit

I have a 97 30 hp Merc sea pro on a 16 ft Alumacraft. Real work horse I use the boat mostly for duck hunting and running lines on the river. Top speed with a GPS empty boat and me 31 mph with a 13 pitch prop aftermarket T/T unit and jack plate. My buddy has a 15 ft with a 25hp merc it's a little better out of the hole but I can hang with him with 3 people, a dog, and guns and ammo. I am going to sell it and up grade to a 40 hp don't need more just want more muscle. I bought it new in 1997 always run quicksilver oil and keep in garage when on in use.

Boteluvr

Recruit

I have a 30 Hp Mariner but I don't know the year, is there a website or something that I can type it in and find the information?:confused::confused:

The vin is 689L415665.

please help.

Grunter

Recruit

I have a 97 30 hp Merc sea pro on a 16 ft Alumacraft. Real work horse I use the boat mostly for duck hunting and running lines on the river. Top speed with a GPS empty boat and me 31 mph with a 13 pitch prop aftermarket T/T unit and jack plate. My buddy has a 15 ft with a 25hp merc it's a little better out of the hole but I can hang with him with 3 people, a dog, and guns and ammo. I am going to sell it and up grade to a 40 hp don't need more just want more muscle. I bought it new in 1997 always run quicksilver oil and keep in garage when on in use.

I have a 2005 25hp Mercury on a 14' Princecraft - Yukon and it does 31.3mph on GPS(empty - just me and gas) with a 13" pitch(6000rpm's)
now have 2005 30hp Yamaha on same boat - does 36.7mph on GPS(shoots out of the water also completely on take off!!! gets air born then lands in the water and takes off - scary!!) Can't imagine a 40hp Yamaha!! Just feedback - don't mean to cut in....I'm always looking for that type of information myself etc...(also running 13" pitch at 5650rpm's) I know I can get 37-38mph out of this 30hp...just a few more rides and a bit more tuning...