to keep orrigional or not to keep orrigional

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer
when fixing up an old boat do you think its best to keeep the orrigional seating orrangment and keep it as orrigional as posible or should i change it to better suite my needs.

the boat is an 1958 glasstron trident it orrigionaly had an bench seat on on sides i want to replace the front seats with 2 pedistoal swivel seat and add 1 bench seat infront of the splashwell running with wise in the boat. i figgure the added floor space would be best for fishing

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: to keep orrigional or not to keep orrigional

sure why not, I'm thinking of doing the same with my 67 MFG now that I have a new 20" open bow for my family cruiser. My MFG has the back to back seats and I would think pedistal seats would give it a little more floor space.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

If it is something that is truly a classic, like the 50s Alumacraft flying d's, I would make original. But, most boats, it is a matter of personal taste. I don't know much about your boat, as I don't really do glass boats, so you are going to have to do the research on how well liked that design is, in today's world.

45Auto

Commander

I'm don't think there's much of a market for "classic" fiberglass boats like there is for classic cars. A nice wooden Chris Craft or something similar would be different. If there was any kind of market it would be relatively simple for someone to create "repro" classic fiberglass boat parts and/or wood and upholstery interior parts but I've never seen anything like that.

I agree with Bassboy, I don't think you would gain anything by reproducing the original as opposed to making it the way you want it. Do what suits you best.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I kept one B-2-B but replaced the driver side with a captain's seat - darn glad i did it. I also used the B-2-B to make a small 2-seat bench a bit behind the captain's seat. Layout changes for YOUR purposes are a great idea! As has been said, it's a $2500 boat or whatever - so who cares if it's true to the original design? IF you can keep the colors somewhat uniform all the better.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

well it seems like i have my answer and tasahsdaddy that is basicly the setup i was thinking of ecept i want to use them foldable chairs like what you can get in wallyworld for like $24 for the front seat and then i want to apolster the the back bench seat.

amynbill

Petty Officer 1st Class

well it seems like i have my answer and tasahsdaddy that is basicly the setup i was thinking of ecept i want to use them foldable chairs like what you can get in wallyworld for like $24 for the front seat and then i want to apolster the the back bench seat.

:D Perfect.

pduquette

Ensign

I didn't have a choice - the inside of my MFG was gutted . I got the attwood fold downs at wally world for $64 ea and the frontseats at boaters world $55 ea . I think it ended up costing less than b2b and i like the room .

Attachments

• 07-30-06_0655.jpg
    07-30-06_0655.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 0
  • rearseats.jpg
    rearseats.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i love my cable pulley steering.