60hp chrysler

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class
From my research it looks like there are different 60hp chryslers - the 'good' 3cyl and the 'bad' 2cyl....does the model number identify which this is below?

Model # is 609HA Ser# 2569

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 60hp chrysler

I don't find a 60hp 3 cylinder but I am missing 1968 specs.
Your number is a 2 cylinder 74,75,76.My info doesn't pin point years.My 3 cylinder specs beginning in 69 indicate 70 hp is the smallest 3 cyl.,66 and 67 3 cylinders were 75hp.Again I don't have 68 specs.
I'm no Chrysler expert but::I would think the 3 cylinder motor has more potential for problems with the 3 cylinder distributor on some of the motors.
The solid state type ign. systems on all the Chryslers can self distruct when proper trouble shooting procedures are not followed.
Some of the solid state parts are no longer available.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't find a 60hp 3 cylinder but I am missing 1968 specs.
Your number is a 2 cylinder 74,75,76.My info doesn't pin point years.My 3 cylinder specs beginning in 69 indicate 70 hp is the smallest 3 cyl.,66 and 67 3 cylinders were 75hp.Again I don't have 68 specs.
I'm no Chrysler expert but::I would think the 3 cylinder motor has more potential for problems with the 3 cylinder distributor on some of the motors.
The solid state type ign. systems on all the Chryslers can self distruct when proper trouble shooting procedures are not followed.
Some of the solid state parts are no longer available.

The 60hp was a 2 cylinder. There problem was that the power head wasn't strong enough for that much power, same power head as the 45s and they were at their limit at the 45hp rating.

The Chrysler outboard was good for durability when the hp was kept down to a reasonable amount. When working for a multi brand dealer the 75 and 105 were the only engines we would sell to the commercial guys with a 6 month warranty, if they wanted a JohnRude or a Merc we would sell them one but without a warranty. These models of Chryslers would last a year or better whereas with the other brands they were buying one about every 6 to 8 months.

I still have a 1976 105, rattles like a diesel at idle, not a performance motor but it just keeps trucking, I call it the tractor motor of outboards

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Steve: That 60 was also known as a "big bore" engine because it used the same size piston as the 140.--3.375 inch for about 51 cubic inch displacement.. so, it had about 6-7 cubic inches more than the older style 55 from the 35, 45, 55 series engines of 44 cubic inch displacement. Everything about it was heavier than the old style engines; it was built more like a "big" engine.

It was made in 55, 60, and 65 hp versions all the way to '84 and the later engine block was the best engineered block Chrysler ever made. It had higher wrist pin placement and longer rods with bigger cap screws, and the block itself was "packed for better air induction. It had two large bypass and two large exhaust ports per cylinder and it had equal length exhaust runners for each cylinder. It was probably the epitome of cross flow design (for Chrysler). This block put out an honest 60 HP at the prop. I have one and it pushes a 14 foot flat bottom to over 45 MPH. --Not too shabby. I never tore apart an earlier block so I am not sure about them.

NOW: '74, '75' and '76 used the Magna-Power II ignition which was crap--the "bad" one. ---So bad that after only a couple of years, the factory offered a retro-fit kit for this ignition. If the engine you are looking at has Mag II stay away from it unless you can find a complete Prestolite ignition for it and are willing to do the work to swap it. The 55 version that I have in my garage has Prestolite ignition and would be considered a "good" one.

The only other caveat is that the lower unit gears were a little small for the horsepower they were expected to carry. If you underprop this engine and try to hole shot it, it develops horsepower so fast that it overloads and strips the gear teeth--It's OK if you just don't horse it around though. If you correctly prop it for the hull and don't nail it with full throttle from a dead stop, the gears will be OK.

Go over to Chrysler Crew--photo albums --Frank's boats and you will find a photo of my 60.

Hope this info helps you.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Danged if you ain't right Frank. I was thinking of the early 55hp:redface::)