anybody using a equalizer weight distribution with surge brakes?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: anybody using a equalizer weight distribution with surge brakes?

there is a special one for surge brakes.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

It won't work with a pole tongue. I also don't see how it can slide fore and aft. I had a 93 Crown Vic that required weight distribution. I had a standard Draw-Tight weight distribution system. I used a pole tongue adapter and canted the spring bar chains (I can't remember which way) and both the brakes and weight distribution worked. I can't get rid of that pole tongue adapter, so if you need it make me an offer I can't refuse. With all the flexibility available in setting up a boat trailer, it should be a rare occasion when your rear axle rating is required to be exceeded. In fact, your tongue weight should be as heavy as you can get it and not exceed your rear axle's rating. There is no substiute for truck scales.

TilliamWe

Banned

This will probably get zapped, but go to Trailer Boats Magazine forums, do a search for the word "treatise". You will find a post started by "Cary" that explains how surge brakes (\I think a pole tongue adapter is a requirement) with weight distributing hitches need to be set up to work properly. It can be done

Last edited by a moderator:

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i just want it for sway control. Here is a copy of the install manual

POLE TONGUE TRAILERS: For trailers with straight or pole style tongue:
a) Eliminate the inside link plate (item #11) and bolt the two outside link plates (item #12) together
around the pole tongue frame.
(Jam or half nuts (not Included) are needed for this option to allow L-Bracket to clear the nut)
b) Use the optional Pole Tongue Adapter (not Included)(Part # 95-01-5950) to hold the L-Brackets and
arms, simulating an A-frame style trailer. The link plates are not used with this option.
SURGE BRAKES: Equal-i-zer allows the forward and back movement required by most surge
brake mechanisms. In applications with heavy tongue weights, lubricating the L-Brackets where the
spring arm slides will allow less restricted forward and back movement.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Not a bad price for that hitch.My Reese WD hitch with dual cam sway control listed for over 500 bucks.
If you just need sway control you could try one of the friction sway control arms.Bolts right to the boat trailer tounge.I put one on my boat trailer and it was a huge help.About 60 bucks total.Not sure what it would do with surge brakes....maybe would not work.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe the better idea is to figure out why you have sway.
Sway control only covers up a problem, it is not a cure.

Unless you want it for when a semi passes you at 90mph?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is what i'm towing.. probably should have a tri-axle trailer

Attachments

• 00002_1.jpg
    00002_1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

Is tongue weight GREATER than 10% of your total towed weight? Sway is usually caused by light tongue weight. You are going to have to weigh the rig, both with the rig hitched, and with it unhitched to find tongue weight. You can position it on the scales so that the boat and tongue jack are on one scale, and the rear axle of the truck is on another, and the front on yet another. Simply crank it off the ball and reweigh. Make sure your gross rear axle rating is not being exceeded. You will need weight distribution when 13% or so of the total trailer weight, when added to the rear axle, exceeds its weight rating, or the weight causes too much squat. Weight distribution will transfer some of that tongue weight to the front, and some back to the trailer, but will normally improve towing performance. You still want as much tongue weight as the weight rating of the rear axle will allow. Try this approach before you get weight distribution/sway control. People speak well of that hitch on RV.net, so if it works with surge brakes, that looks like the best choice.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the tow vechile is a 1997 chevy suburban 2500. rated to tow 10,000 lbs. The tow vechile is rated at 8600 lbs gvw. the suburban weighs in at 6530 lbs. the boat and trailer weigh in at 7984 lbs loaded. Currently have 810 lbs of tongue weight. I think it's just to the shear size of the boat. I installed a suspension enhancement system in the rear which helped some. The guy i bought the boat from used a ford 150 ext cab to tow this boat 140 miles to maryland every other weekend. And he was using a weight distribution hitch and the trailer had no brakes. He told me that before he installed the weight distribution hitch it was all over the road. None of the axles are bent and it appears to track properly. The trailer is made out of 5/16" channel steele. The trailer weighs just over a ton by it's self.

reelfishin

Captain

In order to use a weight equalizing hitch with surge brakes you need to have the type in which the torsion bars slide free in open saddles or loops, NOT the type with two chains.
I have used one with a pole type tongue before with no problems, I just welded the two hangers to a piece or u channel which slips over the tongue and bolts together at the bottom. I normally only hook it up if I'm going far. If I'm only going around the corner, I don't bother. I've had it on trailers with surge brakes, but I doubt if the brakes were functional anyhow.

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"...and the trailer had no brakes."

Down the freeway with 8,000 lbs in tow and no trailer brakes behind an F150? Yowser. Thank god nobody ever pulled out in front of him.

What tires (size rating etc) do you have on the Suburban? Tires can make a huge difference in stability when trailering a heavy load.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LT265/75R16 load range E