Sodablasting?

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Theres a company here in NJ that claims to sodablast the paint from the boat without damaging the gelcoat. 2-3 hours there done. Has anyone here heard of this? any experience with it? good or bad.
Reason why i ask is because i got an estimate to sand the bottom of my 20ft. boat. at 85 bucks an hour and they said itll take about 8 hours to do. than theres the prep and paint . total came to 1200.:eek: Find that kinda steep.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sodablasting?

Max, Bottom paint may be safely removed by blasting the fiberglass with any soft media. Some use lime, some use finely crushed walnut shells. The only soda blasting I saw was for small items like carb parts. I prsume it scales up.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

all the more reason to keep it dry stored, or trailer stored.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I just got a call from the guy who does the soda blasting in philly on Friday. he wants to charge me 1000 just to blast it for my 20ft.. :eek::eek: Is that crazy or what? And I have to bring it to him. I think I'll just lay on my back with an orbital sander and do it myself.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks gcboat. Have you had any experience with this stripper or anybody else?

tommays

Admiral

Your running into money BECAUSE In NJ they have to treat it like HAZMAT( which it is ) and all the media has to be collected and trucked to A LANDFILL IN OHIO :rolleyes:

It is the same thing with stripper there is know way there gonna let you do that in a yard anymore

What you can do at home does NOT fly at work

Tommays

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

tommays,

I'm in no way disputing your last post but how in the he$$ does the state of N.J. consider plain baking soda a hazardous material? I can understand most chemicals, etc. , but baking soda?
O.K. I think my one brain cell figured it out all by itself. It's not so much the media but what it's taking off? Could that be it?

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

the extra $$ they make in the deal.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anybody know how much it costs? They have the Peelaway Marine Strip II. And the stronger Peelaway Marine Strip.
This might be the fastest and easyest way to get the job done.

tommays

Admiral

It is what gets taken off and mixed in with the bulk material (bottom paint is hazmat)in the EPA eye

Just look at ANY bridge repaint NOW they have the blast area wraped tight and even have big vacs pulling out the dust

Now if i striped the boat at home i would just dry out the scrapings and put them out with my trash to go to the incenarator BUT you can not do the same thing at a work place

i had one issue at work, we striped a machine frame in the shop and then just rinsed it down and it was picked up in the waste water sample :eek:and caused us all kinds of grief

Tommays

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have my boat in my back yard. And If i use that stripper I dont have to worry about the dust from sanding it. Just have to peel it off i guess. Alot cleaner and of course Ill be covering it as not to get any on the floor. Especially with my dog eating everything in the yard. Think this way would be the easyest and the fastest.
I work at a car dealer and we have special tanks that I could dump the waste.

tommays

Admiral

There you go ;)

It is wonderfull how a HIGH price brings out are DIY

Just test the stripper in a small spot they SHOULD be gelcoat safe BUT

My town officaly tells you to spread out paint and dry it and then put it out with the normal trash

Tommays

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

kiwipez, how do you play the videos on the farrow web site? What program do you use to view the video's? Im interested to see how it works and on the site you posted there is a link to view video's of it in action but i dont know what to use to open the video its like a mp4 or something. I have media player with all the current codecs it just wont play that way. Thanks and thats verry interesting!

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That farrow system looks like a good and safe way of doing it, but I bet its still pricey. If sodablasting was costing 1000 for a 20-21ft boat. The farrow method would probably be the same.
At the marina by me, they wanted 1200 for sanding, prepping, 3 coats of paint.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Call Gales Soda blasting. A guy in our club had his 20' done 2 weeks ago. He took it to them and dropped it and picked it up that evening. Total cost $325 including the tax.

http://www.galeforceblasting.com/