Need motor id

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi to all,

A friend just gave me a Chrysler 20hp (model 2001, serial 4318). I would like to know the year of the motor and if it's worth the time and energy to get it running again. The compression is 118 and 120. No spark on either cylinder...points look wienered, so a tune up is in order. The pump impeller needs replacing, and I'll have to buy a tank and fuel connector. All in all, I'm looking at probably $200 to restore a "maybe" motor.

Let me know your thoughts, I could probably part it out on ebay for $150 if it's not worth it.

Chuck

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need motor id

Pump impeller is around 20 bucks, NEW points are around 36 for two but try dressing the old ones first and set them to .020. So for less than 100 bucks, you can get the engine running. 118 and 120 is well within reason for compression. So, if you have a use for the engine, it is well worth getting it running. Try Franz at the Chrysler Crew for parts.

Don't know exact year--someone else will probably jump in-- but is the model number does not have any letter, then it is probably before 1970.

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply. I found the chart that everyone seems to use to identify their motors, but mine isn't listed. I believe it's a 1968, but I'd like to confirm it.

Chuck

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

1968 is the correct year. It is the only year chrysler used 4 digit numbers.