Tachometer install on 1981 75HP

glastronv178

Cadet
I have an 81 75HP and would like to install a tachometer.
I have been looking at the teleflex (sahara), do you guys know if this will work with this motor?
I have 2 manuals for this motor, and the diagrams seem to show a gray wire (tachometer lead) connected to a plug in front of the remote.
I have a power pilot remote, it has a friction control but no plug in front...Should I just "open" the electrical wire bundle coming into the remote and hook up the tach here directly to the gray wire? What other connections are required for the tachometer to work?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tachometer install on 1981 75HP

See if your control has a three pronged plug just below the ignition switch. If so, that is the correct plug for the tachometer harness. The OMC/BRP tach of the right model comes with the harness. The Teleflex tachometers offer the harness as an expensive option. http://www.iboats.com/Teleflex_Tachometer_Wiring_Harness/dm/keywords.tach%20harness--**********.048714692--*******.519606488--list_time.1194296895--view_id.40245

You can easily wire most tachs that have the correct settings by either going directly to the ignition switch or by cutting into the main harness.

Under either of the three options, you need positive and negative from the ignition switch and a signal from the gray wire.

BTW, that is by no means a recommendation of one brand vs another. The Telefex tachs work great and they may make the BRP tachs anyway.