60 HP Mercury/Tracker No Spark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the above engine and while running it just shut off yesterday as if someone turned off the key. I have no spark at all. I removed the cover on the side of the engine where the coils are and the solinoid is and found a wire that was obiviously rubbing against the metal part of the enging and burned a spot on the quick connect through to the metal. However after repairing same I still have no spark from the coil wires to the plugs or from the plugs. Help! What can be wrong? Please help so I can go fishing again. Mike..

Last edited:

Laddies

Banned
Re: 60 HP Mercury/Tracker No Spark?

You need will need to disconnect the black/yellow wire at the switch box to see if the problem is in the engine or wiring, if that don't work let us know the year or number off the switch box and we can furnish test data

I have the above engine and while running it just shut off yesterday as if someone turned off the key. I have no spark at all. I removed the cover on the side of the engine where the coils are and the solinoid is and found a wire that was obiviously rubbing against the metal part of the enging and burned a spot on the quick connect through to the metal. However after repairing same I still have no spark from the coil wires to the plugs or from the plugs. Help! What can be wrong? Please help so I can go fishing again. Mike..

Thank you very much for your response. I disconnected the black/yellow wire and still no spark. The number on the box is "19052A2"

Laddies

Banned

Heres the test data from CDI

scan0002-1.jpg

Thank You for the help but I am not quite understanding how to perform the test could you simplify for me as this is the first time I am doing this. Thanx, Mike..

Laddies

Banned

If you use a OHM meter, first check the flywheel for screws to tell if the magnets a screw in or glued then peek up under the flywheel and see if you have a OEM stator it will be covered with plastic material either black or red in color or a CDI stator the winding will be exposed then goto the test for the stator on the engine and it tells where the red and black lead from the meter connect and the reading you should get.

Still Problems. This morning I cleaned the magnets and Stator surfaces and then the engine started and ran for about 2 minuets and then stopped and would not start again with no fire from the coils. Did all the teat but still this problem as intermittant as it is still presists. What can be the problem. Why does the engine start and run sometimes but not continue to run. Also where is the regulator on this 60 HP Mercury/Tracker engine? Please help. Thanking you in advance, Mike.

Laddies

Banned

There is a very good chance the your engine has a bad stator, thats why most mechanics test with a DVA an OHM meter just won't show the type of problem your experiencing so you are at the point of having the system tested with a DVA of taking a chance on the stator and changing it. As far as the regulator follow the wire harness that come from underneath the stator and you will see 2 yellow wire the connect to the reg/rectifier.

Here's an update to my problem. Yesterday I was ordering a new stator on line and then I call cdi to make sure I had the right item. I was told on the phone that the new stator needed to work with a certain regulator so I put the order on hold to get the number of the regulator. I had to remove a bracket which holds the coils in place which also had several ground wires connected to it. I got the reg. # and re installed the bracket and the wires and for what ever reason I decided to test the engine. It ran and has been running ever since I did this aso I then decided to clean all the connections on the engine both Pos and Neg and the engine has been running great . What gives? What did I do? Will it keep running? Regardless I want to thank this forum for all the help as I learned a lot. Mike, going fishing!!!!

Great news my boat has been running great since I found the short however yesterd I bought a Yamaha 4HP kicker outboard and mounted it on my boat. I got the motor, which was only used 3 times, for a great price. I wanted to make sure that I will not have the problem of being towed in to the launch again. My boat is complete now. Mike, gone fishing...

Igoinn

Recruit
Hi there Mike, good afternoon, my name is Henry and I have the same issue that you had with my 60 hp tracker Outboard motor. No spark. In your last post you said you found the short can you share that with me please. Thank you so much. I hope you enjoy your day. Henry

MODERATOR EDIT: Henry, please review the forum rule about posting to old threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.