Stress cracks?

Kev144

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if this is the correct place but here it goes!

I'm going to look at a Charger boat (1989 i think).

The owner said it's mint shape though has a few stress cracks on the transum. Anything i should be worried about? or is it common on a boat this old? BTW it has a 150hp O/B which it's rated for 150hp aswell.

Thanks

Kev

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stress cracks?

stress cracks are a sign of deterioration, such as a rotten transom. if transom is rotted inside, most likely the stringers are too. take a rubber mallot, and rap the transom solid good wood will rap back, soft will thud back. tilt the motor all the way up, then grad the foot of the motor, watching the transom, shake hell out of the motor up and down, if the transom has movement in it. get in the car and leave, or you are buying a project boat.

Kev144

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, i will take a look at that. The guy says its in great shape and to keep in mind that it's not a brand new boat. Frankly I'm getting sick of owners with their heads up their asses. I've looked at 9 different boats where the owner said it was in great shape and no rot and come to find the floor is rotted.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are a lot of uneducated boat owners, that don't have a clue the have and unsafe boat.

Kev144

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tasha, one more question :)

Do you think a small stress crack is something to be concerned about? I admit I'm not very well educated on the hull aspect but I can tell when the Floor is rotted but harder on the trasom (spelling?).

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Well Kev 150 horses sit on the transom. In addition to being heavy those horses would like to run off and play somewhere and will if not firmly attached to the transom. If the transom gives way due to the cracks them horses are gone - And you and any one else aboard is most likely to get very wet.

Follow TSD's suggestion with the mallet and while you are tapping give the floor (deck) a once over.

salty87

Commander

boats from this time frame are due for new decks. i think you should expect 9 put of 10 decks to be bad. the only one's i'd expect to be good were stored inside or covered under a roof. otherwise, don't be surprised if you start seeing soft spots in a few years. i'm sure there are some out there that will last nearly forever but most builders were cutting costs and of course the first to be cut were under the deck where you wouldn't see them for a dozen or more years. mid 90's and later and quality gets better generally.

stress cracks are usually cosmetic but it depends on the integrity of the fiberglass behind the gel coat. where on the boat is it? pics? if the glass is thin in that spot you don't want to just ignore them but chances are they're nothing.

Kev144

Petty Officer 2nd Class

boats from this time frame are due for new decks. i think you should expect 9 put of 10 decks to be bad. the only one's i'd expect to be good were stored inside or covered under a roof. otherwise, don't be surprised if you start seeing soft spots in a few years. i'm sure there are some out there that will last nearly forever but most builders were cutting costs and of course the first to be cut were under the deck where you wouldn't see them for a dozen or more years. mid 90's and later and quality gets better generally.

stress cracks are usually cosmetic but it depends on the integrity of the fiberglass behind the gel coat. where on the boat is it? pics? if the glass is thin in that spot you don't want to just ignore them but chances are they're nothing.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm not sure where the cracks are and I do not have pictures. I'm going to look at it soon but as far as i know, it's an 89 Charger. According to the owner, the boat has never sat in the water, but on a "railway" sort of thing. It has always been stored inside and completly aired out to prevent moisture sitting inside while the covers are on. Hopefully all goes well because frankly I'm sick of looking at boats that are POS.

salty87

Commander

if they're above the waterline they can be fixed pretty easily.

sounds promising. ya really pretty much need to find the right previous owners and hope you like their boat.