winterizing o/b

franger

Seaman Apprentice
i'm looking at storing my boat for the winter and was wondering what items need to be done to properly winterize my 90 merc 2 stroke. also, does water need to to drained with air pressure or are o/b's self draining? thanks for any input.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: winterizing o/b

When positioned vertically, outboards are self draining and no forced drainage is required. Change the lower unit lub. Put Stabil, SeaFoam, or your choice of fuel stabilizer in the fuel. Run the engine until the stabilized fuel has reached the carbs. Then fog the engine with Fogging Oil and put it to bed. Keep the engine tilted down to avoid water from getting into the prop or other areas of the engine. Freezing water breaks things. If you are storing the boat for just a couple of months and it does not see freezing temps, just a lower unit lub change and stabilizing the fuel is sufficient in my view.

franger

Seaman Apprentice

yes it does see well below sub freezing temps, thus my concern with any residual cooling water in the engine

Paul DuLaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your worried about water you can lightly blow off any moisture with compressed air and leave the cowling off until it is dry inside. I've always left my lower unit in the down position for an extended period of time after I've finished winterizing my boats to make sure their drained completely. If you store your boat outside make sure the motor is in the full down position to keep water out of the prop as this could freeze and bust it. Also leave the bilge plug out until next spring to keep out rainwater, moth balls in side will help keep other critters. Hope this helps!