Motor revving

duckhunter55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a 1983 25hp Chrysler. the question i have is what would make motor want to rev going full throttle down the lake? Every once in a whil it will suddenly start to rev up pretty high while slowing down a little and then quite. also at idle my motor systems to want to spit/sputter and kind of knock the whole time, but when you speed up it goes away. Any help greatly apprecitaed thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Motor revving

Soounds to me like a failing prop hub, DH.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Your post is a little confusing--The engine speeds up while slowing down. Do you mean the engine will rev-up while the boat itself will slow some? If so, then there are two places to look at firsT.

1. Check the prop to see if the rubber hub is going bad and spinning insude the prop hub. This is easy. Take off the prop, and mark the bronze hub in the back of it and also mark the prop aluminum hub in a corresponding spot. After the engine revs up, check to see if the marks have moved. If they have, then either have the prop re-hubbed or buy another one.

2. Check the height of the cavitation plate. It should be even with the bottom of the hull or very slightly above it (1 inch or less). If the engine is sitting too high on the transom the prop will occasionally suck air, ventilating and losing thrust. Engine will speed up while boat goes slower. Tilting the engine too far out with the tilt pin could also cause this problem

Now, If it revs up then slows and quits running, this sounds like a fuel delivery problem. When a carb starts to run out of fuel, it goes lean and the engine will speed up some, then as fuel runs too low it will slow and die. When you go to restart it, the pump will supply enough fuel until you go to full throttle then sooner or later it will repeat.
You need to check the whole fuel system from tank to carbs to be sure that fuel is being maintained at the correct level in the carb at all times. (It could be something as simple as a partial clog in the tank strainer or quick connect fitting. It could also be a bad pump diaphragm or sticking carb float.) This could also cause spitting and rough running at idle as would too low an idle speed. So, first check fuel, then be sure idle is not too low. Those little engines usually don't have tachs, but idle speed should be the same as the bigger ones:700-750 RPM

And don't forget, if you manage to grab some weeds, the prop will lose thrust until it clears them

duckhunter55

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for all the info guys and yes FA its doing exactly what you said. I will check everthing you said and get abck to you later. Thanks

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree- it sounds like it's leaning out. Most likely reason is fuel line collapse or failing fuel pump. Make sure the tank vent is unobstructed before going to other possible causes.

Chuck