Questions on materials needed

arnieb

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I have a bit of a project with my 1988 Skeeter floor/stringers I could use some input on. I need to make a shopping list for mat-resin-tape etc. The stringers I will be covering with new glass and sandwiching with new coated plywood. The cut out in floor will get new plywood coated and glass used on the seams. Any help/information/best places to have supplies shipped to Canada from weight of mat, etc would be great! Below are some pictures to give you some ideas on what I'm doing.

summer070813-rr.jpg

summer07080-rr.jpg

summer07079-rr.jpg

summer07073-rr.jpg

Thanks
Arnie

sunchaser81

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Questions on materials needed

Arnieb,
I'm doing a restore on my boat and had the same problem of trying to figure out what supplies I needed and how much,I found this company in Toronto that had great prices and were very helpful in calculating out how much resin and fiberglass I needed etc.. I gave them the measurements of the areas, transom stringers, deck (floor) over the phone Web site. http://www.noahsmarine.com/html/canada.html 1 800 524 7517
I have just ordered my supplies on Thursday Nov.01 and it should be here on Mon.
This forum is also the greatest place to post questions when you need help or just to share your project. Alot of great people here with great advice, I am new to fiberglass work and just by looking at other peoples projects have helped a great deal feel free to look at mine at http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectThumbs,p,420,00.html
Hope this helps you and good luck

Robj

Lieutenant

I am not a big fan of using the original glass that the stringers were in to install new stringers. It is nearly impossible to get them clean enough and then roughed up to ensure a good bond. I ground mine out, and started with new. I would check your yellow pages for fibre glass suppliers in your area. The person who I bought mine from here in Vancouver is George and his company is Ultralux Plastic Industries, his number is (604) 278-8333. Excellent guy with lots of knowledge. My advice is buy more than you think you will need, because you will be using it. There ia alot of info on this site on stringer replacement, do a search and you will be reading for days. Attached is my project that I finished earlier this year.

Have a great day,

Rob.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,406,00.html

arnieb

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Rob,

I'm thinking about cutting the old stringers out and rebuilding what I can access. I'm not sure on the strength of the joints I would have from new to old? It would be easier with the boat split but I'm not planning on that. There is a ski storage from the front lip to the blocking at the rear on the last picture. Its about 53 inches long. I do have some room on the inside of the stringer to sandwich the stringer with 1/2" plywood. The floor storage door will still fit with the extra 1" of material. I will have to make sure it also allows for the thickness of the glass/resin. I know its not the best way for a repair but I don't have the room or time to split the boat. It’s starting to get cold here and it will be a long and cold winter. I would rather not sit the next summer out repairing my boat, as it’s hard to keep the garage warm for glassing in -40 weather. What weight of glass did you use for the different applications you had on your repair? I'm still trying to find a good source locally for my materials but Winnipeg can be a funny place for finding a good source without having to second mortgage the home! I found an interesting place in California for resin/matt. With shipping it still would be allot cheaper then buying local, link is below. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Rob. I know there are people that would make different then I am. They also don't have a SHORT boating season with 5 months of brutally cold weather do take up most of the year!

http://stores.ebay.com/Polymer-Products-The-Epoxy-Experts

Thanks
Arnie

Robj

Lieutenant

I used mostly matt with woven roving around the engine compartment, which is much more than what was there originally. The glassing I would use in your situation would be based on what was there originally. It is hard to tell from the pictures of the situation that you are faced with. But ideally you would replace the entire stringer. If you cannot and there is solid wood, you can try a scarf joint to join the old to the new. I paid less than $90 for about a 5 gal pail of resin. Go rent a heater for your garage so you can glass during the winter.

Have a great day,

Rob.